Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why can't more people be like CK5'ers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

why can\'t more people be like CK5\'ers?

Just wondering why some people are so stupid? For example I recently bought a 14blt FF which I just hauled into the shop to clean up and I've had so many people come up and ask stupid questions like why would you buy that, why wouldn't you buy another 1/2 ton, you have different gears in the front your going to blow your T-Case, etc. I tell them again that the front diff is blown and that I wouldn't even put it in 4x and that I'm waiting till I find a nice 2nd gen diff to swap in the front, this will go on for a bit then they will say used diffs suck, etc etc.
    So I explain that the cost of fixing was more than what getting a used diff would be, and if I got a used diff I might aswell get some lower gears, and if I'm getting lower gears I might as well go out and get a 3/4 ton stuff since I wanted to do that in a year or so anyway. Sounds reasonable right?
    Then they say I wheel my 10 bolt and haven't broke it, so you don't need a bigger diff.
    Then they get into storys about their uncles, cousins, nephew had 44s on 10 bolts and never broke anything and that I'm stupid for going with such a big diff.
    You can't explain to these people that the 14bolt that I picked up was cheaper than any 10bolt that was for sale and a hell of alot stronger, so I usually save my breath and walk away ignoring them.
    Sorry for the rant, I just want to take this oportunity to thank CK5 for setting me straight (otherwise I'd probably be clueless like these idiots) and keeping me sane /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: why can\'t more people be like CK5\'ers?

You have to Remember the World is full of Ignorant people.

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

We're "special" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my mom and the school system told me that, I didn't believe it till now!

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You will meet some really good people on this site. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well any one that would be cool with running 44's with 10 bolts has got to have a screw loose anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

14FF sucks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I know how you feel.

Saturday when I was tearing into my 9" (jeez I love when I say that /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif), my stepdad was here watching me. He may have an EB, but knows nothing of what we go through.

So he looks at the lugs, "It's 5 lug and you're 6." Gave him the simple answer.

Then the next day I was measuring spring perches, "Will it fit?" Of course I had to give him the short "I'll cut off the perches and weld on new ones that fit."

Then of course I got the "why don't you sell the K5 and save up for one in better condition in a few years?"

"I don't want a pretty one to hack up. I want an ugly one to hack up and make pretty."

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "I don't want a pretty one to hack up. I want an ugly one to hack up and make pretty."

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah thats what I should have gotten, well I did, but my dad and I made it a pretty one, I'm hacking it up anyway /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

it just amazes me though that so many people don't understand. The only thing that makes a 14bolt swap more expensive is the new wheels thing, which I picked up 7 used 15x8, 8 lug wheels for $100 canadian, I got the diff for $150 canadian and bought the conversion Dana u-joint for $20 (list was well over $50). All I need is to pick up a front diff say another $150 so for $420 I have my axle swap, why would I go and spend atleast $400 on some 3.73 axles and replace them in a year? Its just so frustrating trying to talk to the clueless.

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

yea it is I hear all kinds of storys about peoples family and freinds trucks... and some people can run 44's on a 10bolt but it will be a open 10bolt and cant rag it, But it you have a locker and 33's they explode just ask Confedneck I have a Locker and 33's on my 14bolt FF and it works great and hasent came apart and I dont think it will

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it just amazes me though that so many people don't understand. The only thing that makes a 14bolt swap more expensive is the new wheels thing, which I picked up 7 used 15x8, 8 lug wheels for $100 canadian, I got the diff for $150 canadian and bought the conversion Dana u-joint for $20 (list was well over $50). All I need is to pick up a front diff say another $150 so for $420 I have my axle swap, why would I go and spend atleast $400 on some 3.73 axles and replace them in a year? Its just so frustrating trying to talk to the clueless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know, it all boils down to what you want to do and say "[darn] everyone else." Most of us have done boatloads of research into something and have learned that maybe there's a certain way to going about doing things. You've done it, I've done it and a lot of other people have done it. We have to trust our instincts and go on the path to righteousness and salvation and leave the naysayers behind.

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, I can see where they're coming from but they should at least understand your future plans and then see why you aren't wasting any time on another 10 bolt or 12 bolt.

See, these people don't understand that you're building for the future. You've got direction. You plan ahead. Jeepers have a habit of going from what's sufficient to what's sufficient as they build their rig from their 205x75r15s car tires to 40" TSLs. They go from their unspeakable rear axle that you can break with a parking brake and a 4.0L to an AMC20 to a Dana44 to a Ford 9" to a Dana60FF to a 14FF.

I have a 14FF with the spring perches and shock mounts in the right spots. I never put it in my truck because it's another 175lbs of unsprung weight on my truck that I never plan on putting bigger than 33" tires on. Unless I run only aftermarket wheels I can't fit a 6 lug wheel on a 14FF (I can machine the hubs/shafts down to 4.125" and convert to 6 lug) so that kind of put a halt on the 14FF install. Plus, the 14FF on 33s has as much ground clearance as a 10 bolt on 235s.

I have six sets of 6 lug wheels with rubber on them (two sets with 3.5" center holes). I have zero sets of 8 lug wheels. I don't have any 8 lug front 10 bolt hubs.

I figure since the only thing I ever broke in my 10 bolt was two sets of spider gears that I'd be alright now that I've got a LockRight in them. The first set of spiders I blew apart completely and ruined a carrier, the second set were full of fractures. The LockRight appears to be stronger than the carrier and the LockRight prevents the c-clip from falling out even if the clip breaks. Since I have rear discs I don't have to worry about the tire going AWOL.

13. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

lol...

I got pulled over on Sunday night (and I deserved it, I was really hauling azz, but it was also like 2:00AM /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) Any how after I got pulled over and the officer made sure I was sober and let me out of a heeluva ticket, he began asking me about what axles I had and such...I then told him that is was a 14bff in the rear with a detroit and I have a D60 in my garage that is getting a detroit as well...He then told me that I should reaplace my 14bff with a DANA 44... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I had to be polite because he was cool enough to let me out of a ticket, but I couldn't believe what I was hearing...Since he had a CJ5, he though that the D44 was the end-all-be-all of strength in a rear axle..I told him I would think about it and drove off, a little more slowly this time... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

If everyone was like us we wouldnt be special. Ether all the dumb ppl would be as smart as us or we'd be as dumb as them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I love stupid ppl they make me look good /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

15. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

for me my ford probly wont see anything realy big as far as axle upgrades (it will get a D44 straight soon enough though), but i also dont plan on running anything bigger that 36s. And a 9" is maore than capable there and i figure since im only running an inline six i wont have the power to break a front /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    As far as the luv goes, its 10 bolt kicks azz, well for 28s anyway, and thats about as big as i whant on that truck /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Same reason why you cant explain to people not to bring a frying pan to a gun fight. Or that First ammendment and the second ammendment were built together.

Anyways, point is, someeone always believes they are correct. Everyone does that from time to time...

Just sometimes... people believe that if a product has "dana" or "warn" stamped on it, its gotta be tough.

The Hummer is a prime example, of using that same "stamping" and making people believe that it is tough. Hence, the "H2", which is nothing like the H1.

Did I rant enough yet? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Fry........some people just dont get it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

the funny thing is now that I cleaned it all up and painted it they are all like wow that looks awesome and [darn]. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif so paint makes it a better buy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Also I found out that its limited slip /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif