Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why can't someone make a PTO ebrake?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Nov 18, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Why can\'t someone make a PTO ebrake?

Just wondering if there was some reason no one makes a ebrake to work off the PTO provisions on a 465 or a 205.
    Taking off the PTO covers gives great access to the gears - it just doesn't seem like it would be that hard for someone with the right equipment to do.
    And one could continue to use regular yokes instead of custom flanges.
    Anyone got some input?
    -- Mike

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Re: Why can\'t someone make a PTO ebrake?

Just dosent seem very economical. The cheapest way i can think to do something like that would be to gear drive a rotor and have a calliper on the rotor. By the time you get that done you could put it on the output shaft for alot less. However, you could make a parking break fairly easily out of it.

sparky

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You wouldn't need a caliper or rotor, just a piece of steel that would "wedge" between the gears to stop them from turning in either direction (similar to a Park Pawl in an automatic tranny). It would be completely mechanical so it would meet the DMV regs. Not a bad idea, now I'm curious.....

4. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

But if you were to try to wedge that piece of metal between the gears at speed, you would have a mess in your t-case. Would work for parking situations, but not real friendly for brake failure.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The mechanical rule about the emergency brake is so that the vehicle can be stopped in the event of a complete hydraulic failure. What you're describing is just a parking mechanism and would be useless with the vehicle in motion. Ever put an auto trans in park while the vehicle was still moving? It makes a lot of ugly noises, but it doesn't slow ya down until the vehicle is nearly stopped anyway. It also doesn't take much to just break the pawl off. It isn't designed to handle that kind of stress. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    you dont like the driveline ebrakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like having to remove my 1350 rear yoke and put on the special flange.
    I also don't want to buy a new rear driveshaft. I have a beefy non-CV HD driveshaft and like it great the way it is. Plus, it cost me enough!
    -- Mike