Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why Crew Chiefs are like trained monkeys

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yesterday I was supposed to wash a jet. No big deal, we do it in a hangar. Well, the jet didn't get towed in until 3:30 AM. This means when I came in at 7:00, the jet was still a popsicle. I could throw a glass of water on it, and the water would freeze in about a minute. Moved the wash day to Friday for that jet and told the Crew Chiefs that we needed the jets in the hanger at least 8 hours prior to a wash to warm up.

Now today, I'm supposed to wash a different jet. I get in around 6-ish, and the hangar doors are wide open (and it's 6 degrees outside). Close the hangar doors, no jet in the wash spot. The jet gets towed in around 8-ish. I ask the tow-supervisor "What am I supposed to do with this, it's 6 degrees?"

His response "Wash it"

My response... get garden hose, spray wing. Watch water almost instantly turn to ice.

"Now what?"

He just had a stupid look on his face.

Now I get to come home, take a nap, then come back at 4 pm. Hopefully it will thaw out by then. It takes 3 hours just to warm up the hangar after the doors were opened.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

WOW you guys have heated hangars?:haha: J/K Air Force I am guessin? We have to hand wipe our aircraft when it's below freezing. Well by we I don't mean me, but our line crew does:wink1: It sucks, but I know what you are saying when it's that cold it's just rediculous. I have somehow managed to hang on to my common sense along with making rank...no offense readymix and sandawgk5:D :wink1:

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

None taken, I have more common sense than most could handle though. I never do things the hard way. You should have sprayed that Crew Chief with the hose. He would have gotten the picture real fast.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well you should come TAD to my squadron and have a common sense training seminar for my chiefs:haha: Oh yeah and a time management class is in order for our night check maintenance chief too:D

When I was in Italy on deployment it was like 20 degrees out, and a Airframer chief told us to do corrosion work "painting" I told him it was to cold. He said just do it. Next day he was all pissed cause the paint ran and looked like crap. He said hmm maybe it was to cold to paint..really you are a genius

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've got a couple of stories on how bad the NCO's were in my last unit; hence the reason it was my last unit..............

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

no kidding air force P*%%$@
    they have a contract copmpany do all the wash jobs here
    i loved beeing in japan, flippin ass freezing outside wiping down the jet
    god forbid it is a little dirty, dont worry about me i just cant feel my hands anymore

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yep, Air Force. I'd hate to hand-wipe our jets. It takes 9 people with 4 firehoses and 2 garden hoses about 8 hours to wash and lube a KC-135. If everyone knows what they're doing, we can get it down to about 5 hours.