Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why CrossOver, and Under What Conditons?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by JungleBoy, Aug 10, 2001.

1. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Pardon my ignorance, but I am building my 71 Jimmy and plan to install the D60 front. Not many rocks in Houston, so I am planning to lift it 4" and run moderate sized tires, probably no larger than 35-36". At what point does the crossover steering become an advantage, and what are the ideal applications for it? I understand a 2wd box is required - why?
    Thanks in advance
    JB

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

I have a similiar build-up in process, and I decided to go with the cross-over simply because better control, less bumpsteer even during on-road travel, and you are already set up for bigger and harder if you ever decide to go that route. The steering box has to be changed because of the range of rotation on the boxes is different. 4wd is front to back, and 2wd is side to side, which is required since the drag link goes from driver side to passenger side. It is basically how the steering box output shaft is indexed, you can elect to just replace the output shaft with a two wheel drive output shaft, but isn't real easy as I understand it, or cost effective. Hope this helps. Steve, hope you don't mind me givin' info, as I am still learnin as you know.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

3. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

When your left front is in full droop, you will then understand that crossover is not an advantage but a necessity. At that time with the stock geometry, you will have little or no steering ability. Go with crossover.

thebigdaddyof2

4. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

I agree. do the cross over. I did it to my D60 and it was simple with ORD parts.

harry
    69k5

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

These guys are right, the biggest time you'll need crossover is when it's articulated on the trail, you pretty much lose all your steering ability in one direction when it's twisted up. There will be some bumpsteer on the road, but it may not be noticible enough to bother you. Most guys with crossover are pretty happy with how they steer in most conditions.
    If you're looking to save money anywhere, stopping before the crossover is a good idea, it's not essential, and is easy to bolt on later. But like the other guys said, it works well and you're ready for anything if you have it.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD

6. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Stephen,

How much for the D60 kit and what does it include? Thanks in advance.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

7. Stephen

We're looking at about $475 for the whole thing, including the tie rod ends, but we are selling the arms and draglink individually.
    It breaks down like this so far:
    Steering arm: $185
    Studs for arm if you need them: $32 for all 4
    Pitman arm: $70
    Draglink, no ends: $90
    Draglink ends: $130 or so, final pricing to be determined.

Thanks

SW-ORD

8. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Do you have studs that I can use with a four inch lift block under the steering arm?

Good things come in small packages. Good things come to those who wait. So, if you're waiting for a small package, that must *really* be sweet.

9. Stephen

We don't keep them, but if you need them, let us know and we might be able to come up with some for you. I know they get seriously messed up sometimes.

SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I asked the same question. I understand what bumpsteer is, but I've never noticed it. One day I'll just convert to crossover so maybe I can find out what I was missing.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. Stephen

Roll steer is really where the cross over shines. Stock GM steering has a lot of roll steer, or articulation steer, and crossover steering takes most of that away. Fox is doing an article on our crossover kit that should have some more info on the benefits of the system.

SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>