Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why did the paint peel on all the earyl 90s rigs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Dec 22, 2002.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i've noticed this on chevy, and dodge both in the early 90s rigs. did they both buy paint from the same supplier? looks like the primer sticks well but the paint just peels away. bad prep work back then or bad paint?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Not bad paint...it was bad primer. The paint didn't stick to it very well. I've got the peeling problem on my 'burb's rear doors and roof. GM was messing with the primer mixtures, but they ended up making a boo-boo. At some point, they had a recall on any vehicles with bad peeling...but that's not offered anymore.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They had finally decided to galvanize their sheet metal so it wouldn't simply dissolve away in many climates. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif However, they hadn't yet learned how to make paint actually stick to the zinc... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

But if you took your rig to a GM dealer and complained enough, at least within a certain amount of time, they would repaint the bad sections for free. It was covered under one of the infamous GM silent warranties. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif My next door neighbor in Houston had an '89 Beretta GT that was peeling on all of the top surfaces. I told him about the deal in '93 or so and he took it to the local Chevy dealer's body shop. He was very happy when they fixed it up for him! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, that grey crap is the zinc galvanizing...not primer.

Rene

5. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

yeah, so say you had the bad sections re done. how would you know if there wasn't anothere section waiting to peal? i guess buy now- 10-12 years later it would peel if it was going to by now.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You were supposed to feel lucky that they were repainting any of it for free! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

LOL! yeah, free and GM service are not usually used in the same sentence!

8. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

F**ds also had that problem. Another thing I have seen a lot of is the chrome peeling off the grills on GMs.

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

we bought an 3/4 ton new in 89- in 90 we complained once about the hood peeling- about the width of a pencil, and then length of your pinky....in 94, the truck was paid off- went back to the same dealer- and for laughs, complained- body guy came out- checked our vin, our codes in our glove box, and said bring it back on monday- drop it off for the week. We did, they sanded down the ENTIRE truck, including the inside of the bed- repainted it etc... truck is still on the road today- we sold it 2 years ago to a guy locally- same paint, and not a problem

Brandy

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    chrome peeling off the grills

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah those stickers don't last that long do they! to bad it wasn't something of a bit higher quality!

Brandy

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah just about my whole suburban has peeled off. that's why i sprayed it all primer grey. i'm gonna have it sandblasted next year down to bare metal all around so i can start over on it.