Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why do bad things happen to good people!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aknight_sa, Jan 10, 2007.

1. aknight_sa

aknight_sa 1/2 ton status

just parked my work car infront of my house and i notice something underneath my truck, some kind of a big piece of metal is hanging underneath it..

i go and check what it is... and i see that the metal plate that holds the transfer case up lost two bolts and its slightly down!! now i have to find new ones..

i just hate it when i cant drive my truck because of things like this...what are the bolt/nuts size i need for them??

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I don't know the size off the top of my head.
    However, there should be some spacers in there that help to prevent this from happening. They are aboud an inch long tubes that go under the head of the bolt. Basically, it makes you use longer bolts that what would be required. By doing this, you can get the proper torque on the bolts and keep them tight.

3. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

The bolts on my t-case cross member are 7/16 -14. Mine have come loose ocassionally as well. To keep them from comming loose use new grae 8 bolts, nuts and hardened washers. Torque the bolts to 65-70 ft-lb (zink plated, no thread lubricant) and make sure the 1in long spacers are in place between the nut and the bottom of the cross member.

In the future, if you have to remove the bolts for any reason throw them out and replace them with new ones.

4. aknight_sa

thanks for the info...

do you have a pic of such bolts and spacers??

DSC00114.JPG

DSC00115.JPG

5. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

This happened to me while i was driving my truck around. I was wondering why the motor was running like crap (distributor was mashed against the firewall) then i put it in 4x4 and heard awful grinding form the front shaft rubbing the cross member.

6. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

If the opposite side is still the factory configuation it should have spacers in place.

7. aknight_sa

guys,

i tried to fix it up a while ago, but the transfer case is kind of stuck in its place... then i tried to jack it up to its position but it was stuck so i didnt really give it a try....

can you please tell me how its done..

8. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

your linkage for the transmission may be binding???

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

mine did that on the trail once. what a pain.

10. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Try supporting the t-case with a jack and removing the the two bolts that did not come out so the cross member is completely free. You should then be able to jack it straight up into plase.

Make sure you are jacking at the center-line of the drivetrain (where the t-case mount is) and not off-center on the front output side.

If it still binds then you need to just spend some time crawling around under the truck to figure out why and/or if something else broke, like you bell housing.

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The linkage for the T-case is binding. Disconnect the linkage, bolt the crossmember back in place then re-attach and adjust the linkage properly.

12. aknight_sa

guys,

ehm..... i never did anything underneath the truck... can anyone please guide me through this with pics if possible??

thanks

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm sure "you" didn't do anything under your truck but those bolts came loose and fell out and when that happened the linkage can bind when you try to putthe crossmember back in place. I don't have access to help you right now with pics but i'm sure someone will.