Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why do brakes squeal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UseYourBlinker, May 8, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

When I apply my brake pedal my front brakes squeal. If I slam on my brakes they don't squeal. WTF? I have plenty of brake pads left.

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

On the inboard pad, there is a device (wear indicator) that when the pad gets to a certain thickness, comes in contact w/ the rotor, letting you know that it is time to change your brake pads. The inboard pad wears at a higher rate for some reason. The indicator is a small hook shaped piece of metal on the end (?) of the pad. If it isn't touching the rotor, then some anti squeal compound on the back of the pad may do the trick. Check out your manual (Chiltons/Haynes), it is all explained there.

John

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Will do /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

might be time to turn them rotor's too...I just put new pad's on mine and put anti-squeal grease thicker than sh*t all over and they still squealed like a mother...took it in and had the rotor's turned and now there nice and quiet again/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

usually brakes make noise under light load because...

1. high performance pads are too cold and make noise...as you increase the pressure they heat up to operation temp and quiet down.

2. you've got brake dust in between the pads and rotors and it's like sand on glass...

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

MY wifes trooper has 4 wheel discs. If you don't wash off the brake dust they squeal like a stuck pig.

7. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Last summer I replaced rotors, calipers, and pads. A few months later (only like 2000 miles) the front left squeals like crazy. Tried that brake backing plate stuff twice and it worked for a week each time. Then back to squealing, and mine also only squeal with light pressure. I'm getting very annoyed.

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have the fix for this.I fought this for a long time until I talked to an old brake guy at one of the dealers I worked at and he set me straight /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Take a sharp scribe,pick,or anything with a good sharp point and make a few scratches in the rotor.Make them from the center out across the braking surface.I usualy did 4 or 5 on the inside out outside of the rotor.I know it sounds crazy but this is the only way to cure that damn squeak /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

My brakes had been squeling for about a week so I took my truck in to Winston Tires for a free brake inspection and they said front and back were fine. So i guess it is just something that happens.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Brake squeel is because the pad is vibrating. If you can stop the pad from moving (by use of clips like factory or other means) they will stop squeeking. Most of the time the offending pad is the outboard pad. It has ears that go over the caliper. If you use a big set of channel lock pliers you can (and are suposed to) pinch them in against the caliper. This will keep them from squeeking.

I do this and use a bit of the anti-squeel glue type stuff and have never had a squeek. I don't use the shims that come w/ the high $$$ pads because they always come off and F things up.