Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why do electrical guages get no love?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Dec 4, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

most every major guage manufacturer produces both electrical and mechanical guages. question: why do most peeps here say 'go mechanical, electrical guages suck!'??? I mean, are good quality guages (nordskog or autometer or whatever) crap just because they are electrical?

j

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like electric aftermarket guages. They are all I run. I see nothing wrong with them. Simple to install. I dont understand the mechanical guage preference either. My electrics are just as accurate as any mechanical guage I have compaired them to. It seems all auto makers trust electric senders and sensors to input accurate info and data to the ECMs to control engine functions. If they trust them so do I.
    I can understand not trusting the OEM guages that are in the dash. They were never made to be real accurate and can have ground/connection problems. But properly installed aftermarket electric guages have always worked ok for me.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Because most people are not realistic.

They expect 20+ year old electrical components, to include wires, connectors, gauges and senders, to work flawlessly, just like they did when new. Of course, that doesn't take into account abuse, heat, etc., that most owners subject them to.

To compare a factory gauge setup that is 20 years old to a new mechanical one is ridiculous. There are multiple reasons mechanical has been "phased out" in almost every application, and most studies/experiments back up the fact that electrical gauges can be, and usually are, every bit as accurate as mechanical.

My electrical gauges work fine, and have never misled me. When they didn't work right, I figured out the problem. With as many gauges as I've dealt with in 10+ year old GM vehicles, the failure/inaccuracy rate is EXTREMELY low.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Electric gauges can have a sender, a wire between the sender and gauge, or a ground connection, or the gauge itself go bad. Mechanical gauges can have either the pressure line, or capillary tube (depending on which gauge you are dealing with) go bad so basically they work or they don't. Electrical gauges could have a wire ground out every now and then and make the gauge work then not and so on.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Electric gauges can have a sender, a wire between the sender and gauge, or a ground connection, or the gauge itself go bad. Mechanical gauges can have either the pressure line, or capillary tube (depending on which gauge you are dealing with) go bad so basically they work or they don't. Electrical gauges could have a wire ground out every now and then and make the gauge work then not and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Mechanical,

....in other words, they're only as good as the person installing them?

-Mr. Electrical
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ps. See you Saturday, capillary-boy....... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. 4X4HIGH

FUNNY GUY you are. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Mechanical,

....in other words, they're only as good as the person installing them?

-Mr. Electrical
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ps. See you Saturday, capillary-boy....... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Electric gauges are every bit as accurate as mechanical. Just not anywhere near as dependable. I personally would rather have hot oil spray on my leg to know that I've got oil pressure when my gauge says zero.

It's just my personal opinion. I have no problems with electric gauges if you're just running a stock engine, but I would not trust them for something expensive and nice like some of your engines are because I believe them to be sub-standard when compared to a mechanical gauge.

Every book I've ever read about diagnosing an electric gauge reading zero says to pull the sender out, thread in a mechanical gauge, and start the engine. That has to say something.

This is a matter of opinion either way because obviously both work. There are good points to both.

If you look in both of my rigs you will find mechanical gauges for water temp and oil pressure.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally would rather have hot oil spray on my leg to know that I've got oil pressure when my gauge says zero.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I played this game in my '66 Chevelle. It's why I won't run a plastic oil line inside. The only mech gauge I still use is water temp. I like to see the temp w/ the engine off.

9. 4X4HIGH

[ QUOTE ]
    I played this game in my '66 Chevelle. It's why I won't run a plastic oil line inside. The only mech gauge I still use is water temp. I like to see the temp w/ the KEY off.

[/ QUOTE ]

There, I fiXed it for you

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Some people like the larger needle sweep of a mech gauge since its easier to read at a glance. A mech gauge has a 270 degree sweep and most electricals have a 90 degree sweep. It has nuttin to do with accuracy just personal preference...

12. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think it depends on the wheeling conditions.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had a nordskog oil pressure guage..
    after a couple of soakings...the guage would drop-out..
    once in a while..I'd have to clean the connections..

If you're in WATER and MUD...Go mechanical. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif