Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why do headers have the collector thing and not a slip pipe?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 6, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Both my collector gaskets are blown out. I was just noting that if these damn headers had say a 3" in pipe that I could slip a 3" out pipe over it would be far more efficient. No gasket needed, no leaks. When I go home at the end of march thats what I'm going to do. Redo the exhaust without collector flanges.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i wish someone would find out more about those funky collectors that ZEPR was asking about.. the ones that were on Trucks i believe..

i personally never had an issue with the standard 3-holes.. but i was anal about getting in there and retorqueing them the first couple weeks.. guess i got lucky...

i eliminated it on the Chevelle by having the extended collectors welded on... they where supposed to help bottom end, so i figured i'd give em a shot...

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

extended collectors? You mean longer pipes that neck down to the size you need?

4. ryoken

like these..

[​IMG]

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I thought the point of having 3 hole collectors is to be able to take your exhaust on and off without having to cut or pry.

I don't have any gaskets on my collectors and they don't leak but they are right out of the box and flowtech afterburner headers and pipe.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

This is why the Hedman Elites (at least) run a "standard" ball/socket design, and not the 3 bolt flat flange.

7. ryoken

you run a standard pipe slipped on the end with standard clamps...

they'll be leaking shortly then... ;)

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I only run one clamp, the headers bolt to the y pipe and the y pipe clamps to the cat.

well see...

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pick the right size and weld to your existing headers and pipes:

Ball Flange Kits

They're WAY easier to disassemble than a slip-fit joint. :cool1:

10. ryoken

ah, i swear its like pulling teeth with you... ;)

by welding the collector to the header you are exchanging the removable joint from the leakprone 3 bolt spot for a much more leakproof pipe on pipe connection..

11. ryoken

wish they where available back in the day when i did the slipjoint style.. :(

tho mine have never been a prob... :D

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I don't doubt that it is better... i'm supposed to get my hands on a welder next weekend.

I like being able to take the y pipe off without having to pull the headers... once its all up and running and i don't need to pull it off it will be welded.

13. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

The collector gaskets usually blow out due to the bolts loosening up.

One way to keep the bolts from loosening is to use Stage 8 locking bolts. They make kits for headers and collectors. I have my collectors welded to my Y pipe, so that's not an issue; but I used the stage 8 bolts on my headers to keep the manifold gaskets from going.

Thomas.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't use manifold gaskets, I have no issues. I run a nice bead of red RTV around each primary tube and let it sit for about 5 minutes then install them to the heads. Never had a leak this way. My dad and cousin do the samethings on their race cars. I'll never use header gaskets again(never had them not leak). Dad told me to do the same with my collectors but I think thats stupid. I'm either gonna go to ball and socket or slip joint. I know why the passenger side blows out, I messed up when I made the exhaust and the collector is on a little bit of an angle. Half of the gasket is still there on that side. But on the driveside one of the bolts is missing so thats definetally a loose bolt issue.

15. ryoken

why would someone have to take the header off? :confused:

16. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

you run no header gaskets and no intake gaskets? Just red rtv?

how long does it last?

I might tell my mom to pick up a tube of red rtv instead of buying cigarretes when she goes to bed so i can start her up without wondering if im gonna end up with water in my oil in a week or two.

If I weld the pipe to the headers.... you know if i decide to cut the collectors
    off.

edit_ nevermind im a jackass..... didn't know what ball collectors are.

How is that any better than 3 bolts?

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

By slip joint do you mean when one pipe goes inside the other and then clamp them with a muffler clamp? The dimples from the clamp will make the pipe near impossible to remove. I cut my collectors off and weld my pipes directly to the headers. No leaks ever. I can't think of any reason I may have to remove my headers, or any part of my exhaust system, so easy removal is not an issue.

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah the slip joint would be an issue with the clamping. I usually expand the pipes every time I pull them apart but ball and socket may be the way to go. I need to slip

Dirtwarrior- No I use intake gaskets, I don't think rtv would be a good choice there, though I don't use the end rubber pieces on the intakes, I just use black RTV there. Red RTV is the only thing I use for headers though, no gaskets there.

19. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

anyone tried those soft copper header gaskets advertised in Summit? Last set of headers I had, once a month I checked all theheader bolts, always had to tighten up a few of them.Why couldn't you use a slip joint with welded on bolt tabs to hold things together? Seems like NASCAR uses something similar on their exhaust systems.

20. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have been running Earls Dead Soft aluminum gaskets for the past year or so. use to replace my old ones about once a month or so and the parts guys got tired of me exchanging them (gotta love lifetime warranty) and gave me a set of the aluminum ones. Were like 30 bucks I believe but work great. I will never run a regular gasket again.