Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why do I have the nasty power steering squak?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, May 29, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I have noticed that when going slow- say backing out of my driveway, when I start to go forward - and turn the wheel- just a weee bit, not turned all the way- my power steering squeels BIG TIME. I checked the belt, tight, and not chewed up..it's not low on fluid...it only does it when the truck is BARELY moving..which throws me for a loop...

any idea's on what to check next..how do I know if my pump is going?

thanks!
    Brandy

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Are you pullies all lined up?

Ball joints bad?
    Lubed up all joints?

Just my .02

Good luck.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Does it have a V-belt? If so, they can get glazed from overheating and will slip. When your truck is parked or moving slowly, it takes a lot of effort to turn the wheels. This makes the pump work harder, so if the belt is going to slip, then this is when it's most likely to happen.

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I'd check to see if you're pulleys are lined up true as well ..... Trust me, you want to check that anyway !

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Did it have A/C at one time that was removed, if so you are trying to do with one belt what is supposed to take 2. If this is the case then go to the parts store and buy 2 new PS belts and install both of them and you should be set.

Tyler

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Harry- What's a V-Belt? and how do I know if thats what it is??

No idea what you mean by check the pullies either...and no it never had air conditioning..sorry to be so stupid when it comes to this stuff, but this is the first thing I've actually wrenched on with no help from John,,I'm trying to do most of it while he's at work, since he's working 18 hour days now, I figure the last thing he wants to do is screw around with my truck when he gets home...

thanks guys!
    Brandy

7. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

V-belts are just the individual belts you see driving the various pulleys. They're called v-belts, because if you were to look at the cross-section of one, it has sort-of a v shape. It sounds like you've already checks for frays, tears, etc. As was mentioned, check for glazing of the belt surface too. You also mentioned that you checked the fluid level, but what is the condition of the fluid. If is extremely dirty (dark brown), you may want to consider changing some out. This may sound stupid, but I have been known to use a turkey baster to remove fluid from the resevoir and replace it with fresh fluid (clear with yellow tinge). Do this every once in a while between driving sessions and you can gradually clean up your fluid. Dirty fluid can lead to restrictions, squealing, and somewhat poor steering response.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

is it an auto or manual?
    is the rpm really low when you get this squeal?

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

How do you know if you didnt have AC before, if the compressor was removed the first reaction would be that it didnt have AC, but if its a newer K5 Ill bet it did, I know at least 3 people with Chevys that had AC, the compressor was removed, and the PS belt squeaked until a second belt was added to make up for the lost one on the AC

10. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem, but mine is only when it starts. I am sure it is because the pully apears to wable a bit. I havnt had the means to tighten it up, and other than that i am cluless ast to how to straighten it. Hitting it didnt work.