Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why do I keep breaking my tranny/TC adaptor????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Jul 22, 2003.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Like the title says---why do i keep breaking my adaptor between my 465 and 208? I don't really mind that I broke it as i am going to be doing something diffrent, but what is happening that breaks the feet. If I am going to be spending a lot of $$ for a doulber what can i do to keep this from happening to the pricey stuff.

[​IMG]

2. aj_johnson

aj_johnson Registered Member

check your motor mounts and tranny mounts... you have too much flexing going on in there somewhere.. maybe even park it on some wierd angles and crawl under it and see what it is doing.

3. SCOOBYDANNN

first time i broke it (same exact place) new motor mounts, poly tranny mounts.----this time same motor mounts (will check) and new rubber tranny mounts. first time i had a lot for frame wtist in front and rear, this time i tied in the front w. tubing and it feels REAL solid in the front. (had problems w/ clutch when twisted.) none whatsoever after tubing.

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The adaptor need's support all the way across the bottom of it, not just the edge's. Notice how it sheared off right at the mount to the adaptor? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Build a crossmember that will support the complete bottom edge of the adaptor, and Your trouble's will be over.

The bolt/bolt hole's only tie it down, it's a straight vertical line up to the side of the adaptor, where it sheared off.

5. SCOOBYDANNN

[ QUOTE ]
    Build a crossmember that will support the complete bottom edge of the adaptor

[/ QUOTE ]

what to do about mounts. i havn't ordered my doubler yet, but want to make sure i dont break that spendy little thing.

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

are those the bushings underneath where the tab is? or spacers..cuz my 465/208 dont mount like that... gotta find a way to distribute the torque load across the whole adaptor piece instead of just the ears..that way the stress will be more spread and less chance of breaking.. [​IMG]

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Build a crossmember that will support the complete bottom edge of the adaptor

[/ QUOTE ]

what to do about mounts. i havn't ordered my doubler yet, but want to make sure i dont break that spendy little thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mount will go under the entire length of the mounting leg.