Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why do I keep going through U joints?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Cheyenne, Aug 12, 2000.

1. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

this past few months I have been running through Universal joints like crazy. The front of the rear driveshaft, at the transfer case yoke has broken three times. Could there be a supplementary problem causing this or is this a common event in the life of a Blazer owner?
    also I have noticed a small amount of play at the rear carrier(I think this may have something to do with it).

thanks in advance for help.

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Maybe they were not greased when they were installed. Next time use Spicer U joints and make sure the needles inside have plenty of high quality grease. If you have a lift, you may have to adjust the angle of the driveshaft by either lowering your transfer case or move the perches on the axle. You could even be forced to change to CV-joints. Do you feel any vibrations when driving?

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I don't think that it is common, at least on the later models. My '89 eats up rear u joints,(greased or not).
    The front joint in the rear driveshaft seems to last forever.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've gone through a grand total of two U-joints in 3 years, both were rear U-joints at the diff. I don't know if it is that common on K5's to eat U-joints. I made the mistake of installing a sealed (non-greasable) U-joint the first time I had to replace one, it only lasted about 5000 miles.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress