Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why do i smell gas in the truck??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88MudBeast, Oct 23, 2001.

1. 88MudBeast

88MudBeast Registered Member

OK, yesterday i filled up with regular unleaed gas, and now I smell gasoline in the truck. Its pretty thick in the back, but not quite as much in the front. Could there be some kind of leak? Thanks

-Jake

2. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I would say your vent tube is ripped

my 79 rust bucket will run over your 2001 chevy 4X4 tahoe plastic wagon

3. 88MudBeast

88MudBeast Registered Member

And what exactly is that?
    -Jake

4. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Or you might want to cut down the trips to Taco Bell.

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

5. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Just a thought, but did you drive with your back window down? If you have never done that, it creates a vacume and sucks in all the exaust gas from the truck. Its a long shot, but that might be what you are smelling.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

6. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

The vent tube runs along the side of the filler hose and lets the gas vapor vent outside. The one on my 76 ripped and I smelled gas. if you get the tank to full gas will come out of it also.Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Or it may be what Sparky
    said

my 79 rust bucket will run over your 2001 chevy 4X4 tahoe plastic wagon

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Theres a few things that can leak in the back for fuel. Crawl under the truck and look where the fuel fill neck goes. You will see a large rubber connecting hose, and a small one. Both should still be attached at the fill neck, and the fittings that come off of the sending unit (top of tank) while you are there, try and eyeball any of the rubber fuel/vapor/return lines that enter the tank. All exit/enter the tank on the passenger side, where the fittings for the fill neck hoses go. Might have popped one, cut one, or the clamp broke. If you disconnected the EVAP cannister up front, that will let out gas fumes as well. (which is why it really shouldn't be disconnected)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Is the metal cover in the bed area rusted through. Could have shot some gas out and if that is rusted out the gas may have got into the carpet if it backwashed like it seems most pumps do these days.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Is the metal cover in the bed area rusted through. Could have shot some gas out and if that is rusted out the gas may have got into the carpet if it backwashed like it seems most pumps do these days. burp

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

10. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem until I replaced the rubber weatherstripping on my tailgate. I replaced it and no more gas smell. Although I have dual exhausts that exit directly under my rear bumper. I don't even think of driving with my rear window down.

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears

11. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> You may never know what your trucks rear floor is like under the carpet ......... Mine was shot and I'm sure it was letting lots of fumes in through there ........ with new floor hopefully will put an end to that ! My exhaust tips exit at the rear at a 45 degree angle so that shouldn't be an issue !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

12. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

my pipes used to exit out the side and i always had my window down, now my pipes run straight back under my bumper and i cant even crack the rear with out smelling it.