Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why do my hoses always leak?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Jan 16, 2004.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I have a very small leak coming from the upper hose/thermostat. It is flush against the nipple, and is tight, but not excessively. What is the trick?????? I replaced them 2k ago and this spot has been leaking since. Can I put some sort of sealant on it? My truck leaks enough different fluids I would like to take this off the list. TIA

2. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

I have had the same problem, Usually the gooseneck will get alot of buildup on it and you should really remove it and take a fine wire wheel to it. This will make it shine like chrome an smooth it out so you get a good seal. If you do not want to go through that hassle. Just take some Permatex "Brush Tack" (available at NAPA) and brush it all around the neck, and that should do it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've only seen this happen once, but I'm sure it's possible to happen again...

When I buy hoses, usually they have a plastic "wire" through one end so it can be hung. If that is punched down too low, it may leak from there.

I've also had a hose that looked like whatever (wheel maybe?) was used to "guide" the hose during manufacture had a burr on it, and every couple of inches, there was a mark where the outer surface of the hose had been punctured.

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Real dumb ??? but is it a Crome aftermarket neck...They leak like a weak bladder....

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Nope, it's the stock one. I'm goin try the wire wheel method and inspect the end of the hose. After my [darn] friend gives me my tools back that is. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif