Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why do my hub nuts keep coming loose

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jmann, Mar 6, 2006.

1. jmann

jmann Registered Member

Just like the title says. My hub nuts keep coming loose I have tighted them for the forth time in 5 or 6 days. It is my driver side. I have a 75 chev with a dana 44. Please help

Jesse

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

you mean the lug nuts? might wana look into gettin some new studs. or you could you some sort of adhesive??

3. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

if its lug nuts, how tight are you tightening them? what wheels?

4. jmann

jmann Registered Member

No I mean the hub nuts. You know after you take out the hub. there are the nuts that are in the axle houseing or something like that. You use a hub socket on them to get them out and to tighten them. They keep coming loose.

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do you have the lockring in bewtween the two nuts? Does the inner nut have the pin on it?

6. jmann

jmann Registered Member

Yes, and yes. The pin is in the inner nut and I have the lock ring with the little holes in it and the hole is lined up with the pin I made sure of that today. and nothing seems to be broken.

7. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

is the inner notch on the washer still intact and lined up with the slot in the spindle?

8. MTBLAZER89

Does the tab sit in the notch good? I have seen it sometimes where the corner of that tab will wear and allow the ring to spin.

Another thought

How are you setting up the bearings torque etc. Are the races pressed all the way in?

9. jmann

jmann Registered Member

The ring seems to be fine. there is a little play in it but not much. The inner nut I set at 50 lbs then turn the wrench 90 degrees and then tighten it back up to 35 lbs. then put the lock ring on and tighten up the outer nut to about 95 lbs. and yes all the races seem to be fine.

10. MTBLAZER89

How loose are they getting? I have taken mine apart before and they weren't tight, but they really hadn't backed off, and there was no play in the hub. Is there any indication that the lockiring has spun on the spindle? if not then the nuts aren't backing off. i would check the races and make sure they are both bottomed all the way.

11. jmann

jmann Registered Member

I can jack the front end of my truck up and the tire moves back and forth and side to side. and no it is not the ball joints it is the hub nuts becasue when I tighten them up the wheel stops moving.

12. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Maybe you bearing went out.

13. jmann

jmann Registered Member

Well I just talked to a buddy on the phone and He said that the threads on the outer hub nut might be bad or on the spindle. So tomorrow I am going to go and get a new outer hub nut and see if that helps.

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't think this would cause the problem, but you're missing the last step. :eek1: You're supposed to back off on the inner nut about 3/8's of a turn after the last "torque" step. Factory spec calls for about .008's inch end play after the outer nut is tightened. By torqueing the inner nut to 35 lbs. and then also torqueing the outer nut, you're running the wheel bearings WAY too tight. :o