Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why do people tear up a good car?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blaze, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I know some of you restore cars, so you should understand where I'm coming from on this one. Of course I'm pissed off about the rusty frame in my 75 Firebird, but that's not what this is about. I'm always searching for good parts cars and the like, but some of them I've come across are unbelievable. My friend and I were doing a delivery at work when we came across some parts for sale. We bought a ton of parts, a stripped 77 Trans Am, and some other Camaro junk. Got the title for the Trans Am and it is a 77 Gold S/E Trans Am! We thought it might be salvagable, but the guy gut right through the rear pillar to get the quarter off. Who does these things? I almost cried when we found out. Oh well, at least I got a set of Rally IIs and a good tilt steering column from it.

Sorry, had to vent.....

2. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I've done a lot of things to vehicles that "purists" would get upset over. I look at it this way... It's MY car, if you don't like it, too bad. You should have bought it before me, and you don't have to buy it after me.

Besides, I didn't think a 77 T/A with the gold S/E package was that rare. '76 was the year it was limited production. I had a '76 Trans Am, original 455 4-speed for a while, and it had a faded gold dash. I don't think it was an SE, though.

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I'm not a purist by any means. My 76 Trans Am has a WA-code 400 out of a 77 Trans Am, a TH400 out of a 72 Bonneville, and I'm about to put the hood and nose off of that 77 S/E on it till I can find a new 76 nose. If you can build a good car, do it how you want to. This 77 S/E was apparently a good car before it was torn up. The previous owner had a small fire that melted the lower dash, so he sold it to the guy we got it from. The floors and trunk are perfect, as are all the body panels. All it would have needed was a new dash and a wiring harness. What a shame - it was probably a sweet looking car!

4. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I feel the same. I am in to VW's. I see 53-56 oval windows cut up into baja's and I about cry. I saw a split window VW(49-52) cut up and I about pi$$ed. The shell alone with the matching pan is worth about $2000. I had a 53 oval that I sold back in '89 that was totally striped, but ready to go back together, for $1000 and that was cheap.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think Bajas are great. Many a bug has evolved into one of those great machines in my shop.
    I am a VW purists worst nightmare. Muh haa haa ha.
    I think the oldest to fall prey to my evil desires was a 1953. It looked great with a Baja kit, 1835cc engine, Bus trans axle, sand paddles, big ol KCs on it, and full camo paint.
    It was sure a lot more useful ride than the old ugly run down under powered car it was orginally built as.

6. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I'm working on a cool 1970 baja right now. 1915cc engine, dual 40 webers, 3" body lift, 700 watt stereo. VW sheetmetal cuts like butter. I'm pretty happy, the body is entirely rust free.