Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why do salvage yards think they have gold *RANT*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Apr 14, 2003.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Talked to a two guys up in new york about some 16.5 x 8 lug rims. One guy was gonna give me his for the cost of shipping, and the other $10 a piece + shipping. Called around here today just to make sure I couldn't find any, found one place that wanted $35 a piece for them, and another had some off a 90 model (if that would work) and he wants $65 each.

It's not gold, there as the guy up north said, giveaway's. It's an odd size anyway. ughhhhh

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

hey...theres a wheel place ive seen a few times, on hwy 84 between indiana and university, has a bunch of stock looking steel wheels sitting out there for probably next to nothing.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

$35? $65? good grief, get some US Wheels (i got the series 75s) from summit, cheap as hell and free shipping. I think mine were $31 a pop, and they are brand spankin new!

j

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just ordered these I'm going to mount some 38" Ground Hawg radials on them.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I went to a junk yard here in town the other day, and I asked the price on a 14bff. He told me the whole differential would run me $750. I almost told him to go f*ck himself on the spot, but controlled myself. That is outragious. I paid $200 for mine.

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I got the same price when I priced one last year at a salvage yard.

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

that's all good but good lord $112 each. I can get aluminum wheels for that price. but your running much bigger tires so it may justify it.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

How far has your rig progressed since i saw it last?

9. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Something I've learned about junk yards, act stupid. If you ask for a 14bff they are going to hike the price because you know what you want. If you ask for a axle out of a 3/4 t whatever year, make and it has this "hub" thing sticking out. Price drops since you don't know what it is. This is not a 100% method, but most of the time it does.

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

today i was bored and went jy shopping. 1 guy told me 350 for a 14ff. i told him i was crazy and left. back home its 75 without the drums and i already have a boat anchor. i did find a d60 for 250 today. but no since in buying it when im 900 miles from the truck.

nathan

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    today i was bored and went jy shopping. 1 guy told me 350 for a 14ff. i told him i was crazy and left. back home its 75 without the drums and i already have a boat anchor. i did find a d60 for 250 today. but no since in buying it when im 900 miles from the truck.

nathan

[/ QUOTE ] A Dana 60 for $250.00 and you didn't buy it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ???? I would have bought it with a quickness, and had it shipped home !!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How far has your rig progressed since i saw it last?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not a whole lot, I've got 8" lights mounted on the bumper behind the hoop, and I"ve painted the bottom of the body up to the lower body line with rustoleum hammered gray, to kind of even out and hide the cancer spots and primer.
    Started building a console for it, I just got stuck without funds so it's waiting for some money to be finished. 14BFF w/ 4.10's is laying in the garage getting the perches ground off periodicly. Along with the 4" tuff country ez-rides for the front. Oh yea, so is the box of new body bushings, just waiting to find some material to make a bodylift out of or a deal on a lift.

so parts are acumulating slowly, just a matter of time and money.