Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why do you own a K5 for daily driver?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anatomiczero, Nov 7, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I've been debating whether or not to get a newer car or keep the Jimmy. Most people tell me to get a car and that fixing my truck is a waste of money. So why do you have a k5 for a daily driver over a car like a Cavalier Z24 (brother has one)?

2. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

the question is why not have a K-5 as a daily driver, I refuse to have a car payment and old chevy trucks are easy to work on... When you get a new car more than likely before it is paid off you will have something go wrong with it and since the new stuff is a PIA to work on you will have to take it somewhere thus you will be spending more money on a car that can't climb rocks,go through mud,snow,or sand with ease. so keep the money you would be putting down on the car and put it in your K-5 (at least that's what I would do

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Let me guess, the people that are asking you that, don't happen to own K5's, do they ???? It's beownd most non K5 owners comprehension that having a vichile that can go almost anywhere is FUN to drive !!!!!! When they're stuck in the snow, who are they calling for rides ????

4. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

If you have to ask get a cavalier or even a civic /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

I drive my 86 everyday to and from work. You never know when you are gonna get hit with a mud hole or need to pull a Ford out of the ditch.

6. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Because even with 7"s of lift and 40" tires i can put my whole familly (wife and 2 little ones) in the truck and go anywhere i want, i keep all of my tactical gear in the back of the truck and dont worry about it getting wet or stolen i can work on the damn thing without a plugging in a laptop its a part of the 80s that i grew up in and thats just cool, its paid for unlike my 02 2500HD that my wife drives and did i mention that cars suck???(unless it is a old classic of some sort) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I own two blazers! One is my restored BABY, oh I drive it over 650 miles a week... SO it DOES NOT sit in the garage. The other blazer has a snow plow on it for this winter, then next summer its getting the CK5 treatment (lift, tires, mods, all the fun stuff) to go play and beat on.

Lets see why do we own a blazer....
    1. you set higher than most other vehicles on the road
    -bonus, better radio reception and view! Less chance of being injured in an accedent.
    2. 4x4 .... DO I need to explain?
    3. short wheel base, I can kick my blazer around in spots I have seen most other cars not even try to park. Not to mention the turning radius for u-turns when you see a hottie in another 4x4! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    4. LOOKS. Either you like the looks of the truck or you like the looks you get driving one of these beasts.
    5. easy to find parts, easy to work on, easy to get help on
    6. FUN... Whats the fun factor for a honda? Stickers, loud exhaust, and drag racing? Endless possibilities including the afore mentioned items with blazers.
    7. Because its a BLAZER and you know what it can do, even if others think its a waste of money... EX: My parents BUG THE HELL out of me about getting a new truck and stop sinking money into that POS! Several responses including... What is your car payment on that 30K$ yukon, YEAH $600 a month! I'll take that to the bank and get new parts. If I wasn't working on my truck, working to buy stuff for my truck, or going to school to get a good job to make money to buy stuff for the truck, I would sitting around doing nothing smoking crack or watching tv (same thing really). /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    8. IT PI$$E$ off the tree hugging hippies that drive VW's /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    9. you and the guy in the 70k$ lexus SUV both know who's going to make it though the winter and who will be pulling who out of the snow drift.
    and drum roll please........... #10

ITS A BLAZER and your on CK5.com
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've driven a K5 daily for over 20 yrs...and I wanted one for 10yrs before I got my first one...I think most anybody that has driven a truck for awhile would be hard pressed to go back to driving a car...versatility, safety....the list is long...I bought my 89 figuring it's the last of the real K5's and I'll own it forever...I've replaced all the runnin' gear, gonna do a crate motor this spring/summer, and I'll have a "new" truck for way less than half what a new SUV would cost...And I'll have way more "truck" in the bargain...I love 'em...when I need a car fix, I can drive the wife's Altima...and when I need a real car fix, I got the Vette...K5 is still my favortie, tho...

9. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i dont own mine specifically for daily driving, cause i
    do use it for off road sometimes. but since i am setting up
    my old daily driver (gmc s15 4x4 pick-up ) , as mainly a
    trail rig,its seems that the blazer will be my daily driver.
    the blazer is perfect for daily driving and some trail use.
    its excellant for all usages. easy to work on , power everything , looks awesome lifted and loaded.
    main thing is , i can look presentable in it , and hit the
    trails if need be .

and the best part " ITS PAID OFF " /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Big, roomy, go anywhere, and I can fix it myself. Yep, beats the Hell out of a car payment too. We also have a Cavalier, but that's the wifes car.

John

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Mine is a DD but that is all I have to drive. LOL
    The ol lady has the burb and the 73 is mising half the rig from keeping the others on the road.
    But as soon as i get another going to work rig it will be retired to wheelin duty.

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I don't drive mine daily. I'm afriad it will get scratched. I drive my SUpra because it gets 22mpg verses 10. THe tires last longer on the car also. The A/C kicks butt in the SUpra, The stereo Kicks Butt in The supra. Course when I want to go have some fun I'm behind the wheel of the K5.
    Now my wife's K5 is our Family vehicle. It has A/T's and is pretty stock. Millage is not a problem on it. a Tank lasts a month in that truck and the A/C works just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I've driven a K5 daily for over 20 yrs...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Six months after I was born (Feb1978) my parents bought their first blazer, a 78 chevy blazer. It was a 305, 2wd, auto, in the <font color="orange"> GM Metallic RUST </font color> color with vinyl seats. We drove that truck everywhere, towing, vacations, dad drove it back and forth to work for years. I learned to drive in that truck. In 1987 we bought the 87 blazer that I know own and have restored. I have also owned an 83 blazer preveious to the 87. So I have grown up in blazers (specifically the one I now drive). We have had cameros, mustangs, pickup trucks, a feiro and a in 97 my parents bought their new Yukon. They are the greatest vehicle and I CAN NOT imagin being without my blazer. Most people dont get the point until they drive it (and NO ONE drives my truck). In fact, last month I purchased a second 87 blazer just for the use of wheeling (I hope to make some money with the plow and then sell the plow to pay for my lift ;-&gt; ).
    So I have to agree, and say there are people who drive and then there are people who drive BLAZERS (an get it). /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    click on the jjlaughner.com link below and scroll down to past vehicles....

14. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I was just hunting on eBay for a hydraulic winch... and I see you are about to add a 3rd Blazer to the group /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I think that was you anyways.. the MO Outfitters rig??? WOW.
    I was contemplating a more economical 4x4, like a Cherokee or something... til I sat down and figured out what I have into the Blaze and what sort of a loss I'd take on it. Forget it! The Blaze stays /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I was contemplating a more economical 4x4, like a Cherokee or something

[/ QUOTE ]

We got one one those. Very difficult to work on, every part costs 2 to 3 times more than the same part on my Jimmy, and lastly it doesn't even get that much better mileage than my Jimmy. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Rene

16. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Cause it's my only registered ride. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

big, smelly and loud....what more could you ask for.

18. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I do not use my K5 as a daily driver, its just not cost effective. The wear and tear involved just to go to work or whatever is too great, and things like off-road tires are expensive, and not ideal for pavement conditions in general. I also dont want to use up the life of my parts driving on the street, ie: 4 1/2 years after getting my truck I am still on the same engine and tranny/t-case and the only thing Ive had to do is routine maintence items.

I also get tired of "the climb" in and out in of my truck, it gets old on a regular basis. Also things like gas mileage play a big role, 8mpg on the trail is one thing, going to school or the store is another.

The solution doesn't have to equal a brand new Honda though. A cheap little car is all you need, preferably a 4 cyl and something you can work on yourself. I have an Isuzu Trooper with 180,000 miles and it still runs pretty good. 4wd is nice in the snow, gas mileage is acceptable. Much more comfortable to ride in as well, not much road noise, comfy seats, and a nice stereo.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The solution doesn't have to equal a brand new Honda though. A cheap little car is all you need, preferably a 4

[/ QUOTE ] I had a 89 Chevrolet Beretta GT. Great little cheap car (I bought it for $900.00) and a 2.8 V-6 got good gas milage, and I sold it for almost twice what I bought it for. Kinda wish I still had it. It was great for those long road trips, very fun to drive , and looked good. Hell a decent headunit, Some Infinity Kappa's, and a pair of 12's in the trunk and it was good to go.

20. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Same reason as a few others who have replied. I don't want to have to make a payment. My wife has the brand new lots of money all the frills suv, but I'm happy with my k5 and my chevy shortbed. I just save the money that I'd normally spend on payments in case I've got to do something major. Main reason I have the k5 as my daily driver over another type of older truck is the cost of parts, and the ease of repairs. There's not really anything on my blazer that can't be replaced for less than $500, and I do all the work myself. Any major repairs can be done over the weekend, and parts are easy to find. The only things I've had trouble finding are those parts I want for modifications, and even those are available if I had the time to look. It's not very good on gas, and I do work on it at least once a month, but it's never anything major.
    I never owned a car. My wife had a saturn and I always felt like I was sitting on a sled. Just don't want to give up the visibility. I use it as a daily driver and a hunting/ camping/ off road trail vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif