Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why does everyone want 15in. rims with d60/14ff??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Jan 17, 2004.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm probably getting a set next week.why would you grind calipers and all that s**t,and not just use 16's or 16.5's.it's not just tire price is it.most tires for 16 and up have a heavier load rating,isn't that better?? thanks daryl /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

because the 15" wheels have a safety bead as do the 16's i believe, however the tire selection is supposedly better for the 15's. 16.5's dont have the safety bead and they are loathed, but I like the fact I get a E rating, less sidewall flex, and bigger bling effect.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the 16.5" wheel doesn't have a safty bead so you can pop the bead easy when you air down

16" tires are expencive and they have the thivk ply side wall and don't allow as much flex. and also there aint as many choices on tire size

15" wheel has safty bead, the best tire size selection and less expensive tires

4. boggerless

thanks, i forgot about the saftey bead.and the 16's don't have alot to offer for a DD ,ihave 33.14-16 boggers onthe ford and i baught black steelies for it and i'm getting 35's for it.the only one the come in the size i want 35-14's are boggers. i don't want 12.50's.the tires on my chevy are still good.but when i put the new drivetrain in it i think i want 40's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    the only one the come in the size i want 35-14's are boggers.

[/ QUOTE ]If you go with boggers again don't waist your time with the 35x14.50 and go with the 35x16. The 14.50 has the smaller lugs and shallower tread like the 33x14 and smaller sizes. The 35x16 has the deeper tread and larger lugs like the 39.5's and 44's. Because of the deeper tread the 35x16 will last longer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If you are looking for any tire in a 14.50...there are SSR's, TSL's, TSL Radials, SX's, and a bunch of others.

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run Superswamper 44 x 18.5 x16.5 on Weld Outbacks 16.5 x 14 And never have any problems. I only mud though.....

7. boggerless

the 16 wide will rub on the inner fender.the rims i got are the same offset as stock 4 1/4 in.so 35 14's will fit (except for a hard turn over a bump).once it's paid off i'll get stupid with a lift,but 35's fit stock no prob. NOW J.R. on the other hand... : /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif 44's /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif biggest i've had are 40's.aalllway's wanted 44's.i'd be faster if i was single,but the again if i was single the back of my house would be a garage door. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifi guess i can still use my 36's on 8 lug 15's for now. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

why do you say that 16" doesnt offer much variety of tires for DD ? there billions of goodyears and firestoiines 16" out there, new vehicles for year and years been coming out with DD 16" tires, i have billions of such around here, you can VERY easily find 16" load range C through E tires, every place carries them and they are good priced even,.

im confused ?

16" is the way to go, its the 16.5" that ai rarely see any variety of tires for anywhere, i throw ALL 16.5" tires and wheel in scrap anytime i get any on a parts rig and such, they arent worth anything.

9. boggerless

i have bogger's now,i'm thinking of just strait up TSL's this time around. who makes a good rim 15x? 8lug? thank's again daryl /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Stock size tires aren't priced too bad for 16's. But check out the prices and selection for 33's or taller that fit 16 inch rims. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif There aren't nearly as many options and they're WAY more expensive than the same size for a 15 inch rim. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Cause I already got 39.5x13.5x15 IROKs.

12. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I too like the 15" rims but while looking for a set of black steelies with a 15x10 with a 8 on 6.5 I can't find them in black has anyone found any and where....Jason

13. boggerless

that's it show off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. boggerless

the first time i saw those tires,for real,i wanted to hump them.like i said i had 40's,but 44's are the sh*t.not alot of rock's here in mich.so we really don't need hard core [darn]. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

4wheelparts, national tire and wheel, summit, tyres international, desert rat, central 4wd, ect /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

This was posted a couple weeks ago. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/939928/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1/vc/1 It is a good example of why not to buy 16.5s.

I have 16.5s on my truck and once blew 2 tires off their bead's at the same time. I was out screwing around alone in a field and hit a rut sliding sideways. I blew both drivers side tires off their beads, 30 psi in each tire before it happened. I was screwed cause it happened at night and no tire places were open. I got to try the old ether trick to reseat them /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif cause I don't know anybody that carries 2 spares with em.

I bought my 16.5 wheels before I found this place and learned of the evils of 16.5 and the possibilities of 15" 8 lug and grinding. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

17. TxK5Blazer

Jeff I have check 4wheel parts and they have the white spoke but not the black rockcrawler in a 15" 8 lug.....Jason

18. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

You are correct, they do not carry a 8 lug 15 inch in the "wagon wheel" rock crawler, but the catalog I am looking at shows these sizes in a "Series 87 Monster Mod" (black with round holes).....
    1.15x8--5,6or8lug----4.5backspace---$36.95
    2.15x10--5,6or8----3.75bs----$48.95
    3.They go all the way to 15x14!!!!!

19. TxK5Blazer

and what catolog is that if I may ask....PM me with that info Thanks Jason

20. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    the first time i saw those tires,for real,i wanted to hump them. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.giflike i said i had 40's,but 44's are the sh*t.not alot of rock's here in mich.so we really don't need hard core [darn]. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Not too many rocks here in this part of ohio also, Who cares though, The Mudd is where the funs at /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifNothing wrong with Crawling though,Just not too many places around here to do it at.........