Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why does it stall??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Apr 5, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok tonight i went down near the connecticut river in my town, and the roads are flooded, i saw a f250 go through it, so then i followed, i knew it wasnt that deep at all, maybe a lil past my exhaust. 4" lift and 33's. As i am driving through my truck starts to stall and has NOOO power, im basically crawing through the water and praying it doesnt stop so i can get to the other side. This has happened to me in the past also when i was going through some deepish water, i have the stock air intake system on it right now and i didnt splash it up onto my hood. The second my truck got to the other side and my exhaust came outta the water my trucks power went straight up again and i was fine. It makes no sense why this happens. any clue?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The water is adding backpressure to your exhaust trying to keep the exhaust gases from getting out.

You motor is an air pump. It inhales air and exhales air. If it can't exhale that air it won't have any power because it can't breath. The water is making it harder to breath.

Harley

3. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i kinda figured that but i dont see everyone else running huge stacks on there trucks when they have snorkles?

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Most of the time as long as you keep the motor RPM up it will overcome the pressure of the water and won't die. I had the same thing happen to my truck one time when I was rockcrawling a few months ago. I had to go threw a deep pool of water on the trail and it was trying to kill the motor. I stepped on the gas a little bit and the RPM's came back up and power came back up.

Harley

5. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

When I go through deep water, and I go through deep(coming in through doors and over hood/tailgate) I keep it in 4 low usually and RPM's around 3000 and it doesnt have a problem swimming :D