Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why does my battery sound like bacon frying?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stumpuller, May 6, 2007.

1. Stumpuller

Stumpuller Registered Member

hey everyone, new guy to the forum here.

I run a home of sorts for abused and forgotten 4x4s

got an 84 k5 a few days ago and have been trying to figure out the charging system problems. i got it to start charging finally. but now when it has been running for a few minutes and you shut if off the battery sounds like its boiling. ive heard some do this when they are under heavy charge setting on a batt charger, but never in a vehicle.

any ideas on this phantom?

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Probably a bad cell in the battery. Or maybe the vehicle is over charging the battery. Check grounds and battery connections. Got a volt meter? Try another battery.

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep, sounds like overcharging, bad regulator in the alternator. But like Ryan said check your grounds and pos. connections for the battery to make sure they are clean and secure. Neg. should go to the engine, pos to the starter main post.

4. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

is it a sealed battery or a serviceable battery??? if it is serviceable, wait till the bacon is done frying, (sizzle goes away) and then pop the tops off with a long screwdriver, and if at all possible, with a face sheild and other protection. my guess is that your water level is wayyyyy low.

not saying its not a bad regulator, just throwing out somethin else to look at.

5. 35dp

35dp 1/2 ton status

If it came from Wal-Mart (Everstart) dont worry, this is normal. Dustin

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's either a bad regulator and it's pouring in a full charge or that battery is bad. You need to test the charging system to see what kind of voltage is coming out of the altenator.

7. Stumpuller

Stumpuller Registered Member

I scavenged up another battery, some better looking cables and .. ta daaa

no more bacon!

put the valuecraft in the tractor and it did the same thing. .. was a little low on water but the fins were submerged. got some water hanging out around here somewhere.

my tester is at the shop, but i will test the voltage in the morning when i get home. .. thanks guys.

Ill have to try to post some pics of this poor old rig. i got it mainly for parts. and the new 35-12.50 bfg ats. ... this thing has real bullet holes down the side not stickers.

8. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Mmmmmm, bacon!

And I have an Everstart in my rig, better go see if it sounds like bacon too!