Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why does my cab stink when my windows are down?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by foxman, Oct 8, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I'm goin nuts here trying to find out what is causing the stink in my blazer. It has some rotted out mufflers and holes in the floorboards, but I thought with the window down, it would keep fumes out of the cab. It is the exact opoposite. I can't run with the front windows down at all or I'm choking on fumes. Not to mention how embarassing it is when you are taking a lady out on a date... I can't seem to find and exhaust leaks near the front of the exhaust system. This is driving me nuts here, please reply with any/all posibilities. Info on my truck:

88 K5 reman Jasper 350. Exhaust Manifolds to true duals strait out back. The air pump has been disconnected and there is some type of metal tube coming off each exhaust manifold that runns towards the back of the motor. (Can't find the end of it)...
    PCV system was switched to breathers, but this stank problem was present long before that mod.
    PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well my k5 with straight out back exhaust stinks bad with the back window down and at high speed with the fronts down. Its the way the air moves it pulls into the cab. I couldn't drive my k5 anywhere without smelling a little funny. Which is annoying, have to carry cologne. I put a new carb on and it smells much better so hopefully thats not an issue anymore.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

the turbulance at the end of your truck is causing air to be sucked in under the truck. Its pulling exhaust gasses into an area where in can pass into the truck. When I had my side dump behind the rear tire, I never had a problem. When putting on my lift and having it in the way, I cut it down. now I cant keep the rear window open, it will suck in gasses.

4. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I never run with my rear window down though... The stink only happens with the front windows down. It smells a little funny with the windows all the way up but it is unbareable with the front windows half way down.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the point was the turbulence around the back of the truck pushes the gasses forward on the underside. This makes them come in your body holes.

6. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I never run with my rear window down though... The stink only happens with the front windows down. It smells a little funny with the windows all the way up but it is unbareable with the front windows half way down.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the windows up, the cab is fairly equalized with the air pressure outside so you only get a little whiff of exhaust. With the windows down, the air rushing by the open windows creates a vacuum in the cab which pulls exhaust fumes through the holes in your floor and into the cab. So you can either fix all of the holes in the floor, or better yet, track down and seal all of the exhaust leaks. If there are no leaks, then you may want to consider extending your pipes out further beyond the body. Just my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Steelsoldier has the right answer. The technical term is the "Venturi effect". Fix your exhuast leaks, seal your body holes, OR run your exhausht in a combination wheelie bar/exhaust stack that sticks out behind your truck about 8 feet. OR put vertical stacks on (like a Peterbilt). /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

YEAH!!! Some 8" straight stacks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I dont htinks its the exhaust.. Stop eatin so much Taco Bell and those bean burritos! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

On a more serious note.. It probably has alot to due with the mufflers and holes in the floor. Try patchin the holes and even the mufflers(if they just have pin holes).. I foudn that Magnum Steel putty stuff works great on exhaust holes(from Autozone)....

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Loc: Detroit MI

[/ QUOTE ]
    Theres your problem, too much salt in your trucks diet /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I had a very similar problem with a Suburban I bought near Minneapolis, Minnesota. With the windows down it would draw in the exhaust thru the rusted out floors. It was so bad that when I parted out the truck I found that the sides of the truck had actually rusted off of the floor and were no longer connected. The rear barn doors sitting on the floor were all that held it up!

11. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Dude, you should hook the PCV back up. No PCV will cause oil leaks and seals to fail. I used to think PCV was just some stupid emissions crap, until I read all about it on this site. The PCV system keeps a negative pressure in your crankcase so that exhaust blowby past the pistons doesn't push oil out through your seals/gaskets. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif