Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why does my engine do this????????/

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Aug 10, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

When I drive my truck around it starts to idel high and gets stuck that way I hve to hit the gas a little to get it back down to normal idle. How cna I fix this???

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

So its an 85 right? and you have a Quadrajet on it right? My guess is that the choke isn't working/adjusted right, What will happen, cause mine does this every now and then when its cold, is the choke doesn't open all the way so the carb thinks the engine is cold, and then sticks into high idle, when you blurp teh throttle you pop it off teh high idle cam and back down to normal, so check out the choke, Now of course this is only a theory /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

It's either the choke or the solenoid to bump up the throttle for air conditioning. You can screw in the solenoid so it never makes contact or you can unplug it and your AC compressor when you don't want to use it.

Chances are that it's the choke system. Pull the air cleaner off with a cold engine. Set the choke. Find the cam that keeps the choke open. Clean it and all its linkages.

If your choke is tired it might need to be replaced. Make sure that when it opens (when the motor is hot) that it provides plenty of tension to keep the butterfly open.