Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why does my steering squeal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, May 11, 2003.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I recently just reinstalled my ac belt which goes around the power steering pump. I had it off for 2 years or so. And since I put it back on my steering squeals when I turn the wheel slightly. Before it would only squeal when I turned it hard. The fluid is good. Just not sure what the deal is. Any clues.

2. JakeInAZ

JakeInAZ Registered Member

Well, I had the same problem in a sense. Along with squeeky steering I had a water pump that was squeeling. I removed my A/C when I replaced the water pump which freed me up from the A/C belt. The squeeky steering is much better now but it still squeels. Point being, if your pump is now squeeling when more pressure is applied to it (ie. A/C belt) then it's a sure bet, as with me, that either your steering pump is going bad or you need to make some adjustments if it's simply a matter of the A/C belt lowering your idle which would cause your steering pump to struggle if it is worn or wearing. Best I got bro. Good luck!!!

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Loose belts squeal when they slip. Check and make sure the belt is tight.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

had the same problem...my steering would squeal and it was harder to turn real sarp...tightned the belt and its fine now..