Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why does my truck do this??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_mud_84, May 21, 2006.

1. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

my 84 chevy pickup, with a 305 ( with some mods), th400, np205, 3.73 gears and 35s, tends to like lose alot of power and chug when im in 4wd and trying to drive through mud. it was doin this last night, like it would hesitate to move, and then it would all of a sudden start to move but still not with as much power as it should, it never used to do this, when i had 33s. but my cab mounts are also gone and the body lift pucks are basically sittin on my floor. so is it possible that the reason my truck is doin this is because the linkage for the tranny isnt all the way in gear, because of the front of the truck sittin lower, cuz of the cab mounts? and i know the tranny isnt bad. or is it just because i have a 305 and my tranny and tcase is suckin up too much engine rpm, and the gears arent high enough, to get enough power to get it to move in 4wd? I gotta get this fixed, cuz theres a 4x4 competition in June that I compete in every year, and i cant miss out cuz i did last year. Ive also got new cab mounts which will be tommorrow, cuz right now its raining. thanks for any help.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

3.73s and 35s is a lot of tire vs. gear for a 305 to deal with. throw in some sloppy sticky mud, its gonna be a work out for the truck.

3. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I agree, when I bought my truck it had 35's and 3.73's, was not the best combo, it got worse when I put 37's on it. When I put 5.13's on it, it was like night and day. Looks like you will be regearing if you want to run in deep mud.

4. smalltowncowboy

smalltowncowboy 1/2 ton status

yah i have 35's with 3.73's also but i got a built 350, more power in the mud but i still need to regear but waiting for my 14 and 60

a good place i have found to get gears is complete offroad, theyre on the web.

5. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

alright thanks guys. Ive got another set of axles with 4.10s that ill prolly get off a guy at work. I also just added a 650cfm carter carb. to my truck today, so its got some more get up and go now, but i think it needs to be adjusted cuz it tends to sputter or something.