Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why does no one use gas welding...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84k5, Oct 29, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Everyone buys a mig. Seems like oxy-acetylene will weld any thickness you could want, and you can use it to cut metal. Don't have to have to mess with installing an electrical outlet for it either. Please enlighten me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. --Brian

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mig Welding is a lot easier,Less heat transfered to the metal

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Gas welding is slower and more tedious plus it requires more skill and a steady hand to do a good job.

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

oxy/acet welding also doesn't add any filler metal to the welding surface. You are only ending up with the same strength if not less when you weld with this process.

With MIG welding, you are using a filler metal that will actually add to the strength of the original metal and if welded correctly, will make the 2 pieces stronger than if they were a single piece.

Plus it's a hell of a lot easier /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

so what do you guys use to cut plate and tube? I'm on a tight budget and starting from scratch. TIA -- Brian

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Uh, you may want to check on that, you add filler when oxy welding just like tig welding... 30" or so long rod of filler dipped in flux...

[ QUOTE ]
    oxy/acet welding also doesn't add any filler metal to the welding surface. You are only ending up with the same strength if not less when you weld with this process.

With MIG welding, you are using a filler metal that will actually add to the strength of the original metal and if welded correctly, will make the 2 pieces stronger than if they were a single piece.

[/ QUOTE ]

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

back in the 80's we use to braze quarters on, on a daily basis at the bodyshop..

i do know it was "illegal" for us to torchweld frames tho... or at least so i was told...

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I use a torch to cut everything ATM but have plans to buy a chop saw or horizontal band saw for the small stuff like tubing, angle iron, channel, etc... For welding I use my mig welder for sheetmetal and lighter welding and break out my stick welder for the heavy stuff.

9. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Mig is faster, less expensive,[once you have initial investment paid for] only one bottle to refill, only one roll of wire to buy [depend's on hard wire, or flux cored, or aluminum, [if set up for aluminum].

A oxy/acetylene is used mainly for cutting heavy metal anymore, up to 3/8" can be cut with a plasma cutter, thicker material can be cut with a bigger plasma cutter.

It's like anything else, what worked in the past has ben replaced buy something new and updated. Doe's anyone use a typewriter anymore? Hell no, it's done by computer, doe's a pen's quill have to be dipped in ink to write? No just grab another Bic. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've welded a few projects with oxy/act welding. It's been a few years but I still have a bunch of rod. I have a AC/DC buzz box and a MIG now - it's just way easier and alot quicker to use those then gas weld.

11. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Uh, you may want to check on that, you add filler when oxy welding just like tig welding... 30" or so long rod of filler dipped in flux...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to Brazing then? I've welded in the past in body shop with just 2 pieces of 1/4" plate, no filler, using the torch. It was fairly easy to do, just not AS easy as MIG.

Either way, its old tech and not necessary anymore.

12. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

are you trying to say you just "melted" the pieces together with the torch?

no way you have to use some kind of filler or youre just heating up the metal

Later

13. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hehe, we used to torchweld with coathangars for that "extra" strength... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

what a pain in the arse... gimme a mig anyday...

14. inscape

inscape Registered Member

My dad use to do intricate welds on candle holders and things like that with a gas welder. That was about 8 years ago, he doesn't weld anymore.

15. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You need more heat when Gas welding...
    more chance for warpage...

Also speed...It will take 3 times longer than MIG!!!

16. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

if you take a look at "the welding handbook" it talks at great length about oa welding. there are times when it is the way to go, especially with one of the dillon/henrob torches, but it is generally slower, more difficult, and heat intensive than any other welding process commonly in use. I'm not sure about oa welding with no filler, as I have only seen it done and done it with a filler rod and flux as was mentioned below.

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

You can Oxy-Fuel weld with or without a filler rod. If without rod, the join needs to be laid out with that in mind. Metal always shrinks at the weld puddle and w/o filler this has to be accounted for.

A change in cross section is a stress riser. So a butt weld with a bead that is proud to the surface of the joined metals is a stress riser. Grind it flat and the stress riser goes away. Tell me again how welding with filler will make two parts stronger than one ? In certain specific situations I can see it, but not as a blanket statement.

Flux is typically only used with brazing and on aluminum. Nearly all Aluminum bodied sports cars are built using oxy-fuel welding. MIG or TIG welding in those alloys results in a weld bead that is too brittle to metal-work. Brazing is more like soldering than welding in the way it is classified.

If you can oxy-fuel weld it's an easy step to learning to TIG weld.

18. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

A very easy step indeed. Personally I think TIG is alot easier then the torch.

Evan

19. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Oxy-acetylene welding is preferred when you have to do hammer and dolly work on the weld. The weld's properties are nearer to those of the base metal. Also it seems that a lot of people that try it to weld sheet metal use a tip that is oversized, then have trouble with warpage. It is slower but also I think kind of relaxing, no noise or sparks going everywhere.

20. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It's also preferred for fixing things like fatigue cracks in door bulkheads where the hinge work hardens the area, or around the door striker, hood hinge mount, etc. Welding with a torch anneals the whole area, and if you need to spread it around even more, you can easily do so. Weld the same crack with a MIG and you will often get another crack in short order.