Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why doesnt anyone go high?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by derek2002, Aug 22, 2000.

1. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering why most people on this site have no larger than 4" of lift, if any? I have seen maybe a few that have 6" lifts, but why dont more people go big? I mean... I want to go with 10" of lift for my Blazer. Do you not go to the extreme because you use them as daily drivers and it isnt exactly practical? Also, do you run into alot of problems when you go 10" of lift with such a short wheelbase? I would like some pros and cons of large lifts, if you know of any. Thanks!

Later,

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project (Body Needed)
    http://www.4chevy.com

2. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

Ive got a 6inch lift and its a daily driver. Thats really all I need. Their is a couple people with big lifts. I'm not sure who it is but their is one really nice red and yellow suburban with a good lift on it. Most the guys I know in my town with the big lifts seem to have problems out of their rides. Suspension, driveshafts that kinda stuff. The bigger you go the more expensive it gets. I guess its really up to you. 6 inches is plenty besides the wife said if it was any bigger I'd have to park it somewhere else.

<font color=blue>SLODAWG</font color=blue>
    http://www.slodawg.coloradok5.com

3. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Wow, where to start. First off, 10" of lift will offer one thing for sure.... sore butt and kidneys. Seriously though, you are looking at severe driveline angles that only a show truck could handle. Other things to consider, streetability. Many states have lift laws limiting your height. Cost. That's a good reason. Just add up the price for new drivelines, axle rotation and or dropping the transfercase. Now the practical side. If you are gonna wheel with the thing at all, anything off camber will make you wish you had half of the lift. The pros: Man, 10" of lift looks way cool with 44" tires. If you are running mud, 10" of lift will do the body good. If you like giving the cops a workout with ticket writing and scaring old ladies and children, 10" of lift is definately the way to go! Take care! Todd

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

4. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

10" springs are stiffer than all getout, *usually*. IF you run 10" of lift, you must be running 40's, which IMHO won't stuff as nicely as 35-36's. High center of gravity, steering, etc. Lotsa reasons for me.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i dont think you would be able to turn at anything faster than 10 mph with out puting your perfectly good blazer on its side.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Lifts, yuk. been there done that. The worst trucks I'v owned have been lifted,nothing but trouble.I thought they were cool when I was young and dumb.
    Now that I am old and wise I like beefing up the suspention. you can get up to 3" lift out of a good set of springs, good wheel travel, a great ride and you'll still be able to go around a corner. Most people I know who have lifted a truck over 4" usually only do it once(They get tired of us low riders running rings around them)

[​IMG]

8. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Watch the movie "Roadhouse". If you want to be the guy driving around in Bigfoot, looking like a bonehead driving around in a Monster truck, go for it.

If all you are going to do is drive where there are no rocks, no hills, and lots of mud, it'll be fine, I guess. Consider the gears you'd have to run, and the axle swaps (you'd have to have a 14-bolt/Dana 60 combo at least) you'll spend so much cash you could buy a brand new truck for that.

[​IMG]

9. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

ggallin-
    Why do you say no rocks and no hills? Will the springs not flex for the rocks and it would be unsteady on the hills? So, you think that the lift narrows your horizons as far as multi purpose? Please advise.

Later,

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project (Body Needed)
    http://www.4chevy.com

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

No rock climbing, it would have a very high center of gravity and you'd put it right on it's side.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

11. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Bottom-line, "looks" doesn't equal performance. The census I get from most of us who visit (or can't stay off this site) is that we're into PERFORMANCE, not looks. If you build your rig to only "look good", you'd usually be walking home from the trail most of the time. It's A LOT more fun to have a truck that performs, than one you can just cruise around in. If you want to cruise, I recommend an Impala. Disclaimer: No offense to those who own Impalas, I'd get one myself, but I've already got too many projects.

12. realsquash

Come on, I don't believe you posted that! Young and dumb? The most capable rigs out there, be they heeps or chevys, usually have more than 4" of lift. On mine, and many others on this board, anything less than 6" of lift would *severely* limit wheel travel.

Unless you are talking about putzing on the street only, that is a different story.

Squash

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Less than 6" of lift will *severely* limit wheel travel? Oddly enough my severely limited travel in my 4" lifted Jimmy will still ramp 800 plus on a 20 degree ramp. I'd rather use a 4" lift and trim the fenders for 35" tires than a 6" lift for the same size tire. Just my opinion.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Squash,
    You've got a point. I guess the true level of performance you need depends on the type of terrain you ride on. I live in San Diego and the trails here and in Baja are nothing like Moab or Tellico. But it sounds like he wants to go with 10" of leaf lift, and from what people have pointed out, it doesn't sound like the stiffer leafs will give that much articulation. If he went with some lifted springs and a flip kit, he'd probably have all his bases covered.

15. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Ge my no lift 72 ramped a 918 on a 22 deg. ramp with just a bit of the rear 1/4 trimed and 35s

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Most of the points have been covered, but I'll throw in my $.02 anyway.
    For a 4" lift, you can buy all the parts to do it right and install it yourself without any major modifications for under $400. Plus, you can keep the ride and handling pretty close, if not better (compared to worn out factory components), than stock. The 4"-6" range is also about the right amount of lift if you want to keep somewhat reasonably priced and streetable radial tires (33"-36" range). An 10" lift, for example, would require additional modifications to "do it right" including more steering correction and addressing the driveshaft angle issues, which this would be on top on the higher price for the taller lift. The ride is typically much rougher and the center of gravity requires more caution during normal driving. Then you have the additional costs of the expensive 38" plus tires that usually ride, wear, and handle poorly (in comparison to smaller radial). Then the re-gearing the axles and possibly beefing them up if you ever actually want to use the truck.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't lift a truck high if that's what you like, I'm just stating my opinions on why I wouldn't. Also, look around your area.....I bet you don't see too many people driving trucks with 10+ inches of lift and 40" tires everyday to work, there's a reason for it. I've personally know several people who went out and got "big" trucks as daily drivers and all of them either sold them, got another vehicle to drive, or put smaller tires and such on them within a year because they just couldn't take it on a regular basis.

17. 12\" lift and 44\'s

I drove my Burb to work everyday with a 12" lift and 44" Boggers for over 2 years, I chose to go with 38" Radials for a smoother ride and better wear on the tires. A big lift when you have a foot print like a Burb is O.K., I have taken some corners pretty fast without the slightest lean. I am debating on lowering mine to get a better ride and better front-driveline angles though, the higher you go the more mods you have to do to get everything correct. 12" Superlift springs ride rough, but Ken may tell you that his Nationals on his Burb ride great!!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

18. realsquash

There is an exception to every rule! Even things like body mounts, rust, weight, etc have an effect on wheel travel. My axles prolly droop more than if they were 10 bolts simply because they weigh more. Lotsa variables for sure. In my case (pickup), I require more wheel travel than your blazer to get the same RTI score.

Squash

19. realsquash

I guess I shoulda expalined a bit more. On my rig, which is a LWB pickup (not for long!), I have 35" BFGs (34.5" tall), 6.5" of lift, and I still had to hack out the fenders (big-time) and install longer front shocks. A tight stock blazer will ramp 600 on a 20 degree ramp, I've seen it done. My rig requires more travel than yours for the same score. The difference between 4" and 6" is fender trimming, I agree. I almost typed 4" instead of 6" anyways :)

Squash

20. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

We have two Subs (well, actually 3). One has 12" Nationals, and the other 6" Superlifts. The 12" rides A LOT better than the Superlifts, and articulates much better! If you're gonna go that high, invest the money ($1100) and get all 4 National springs. My fronts are 11 thin leaves. I also have a crewcab dually with 10" Superlift front leaves and they DO NOT move at all!!! I think the only suspension I'm getting is the flex in the sidewall of the 42" Swampers!! Lots of items to address when going with big lifts, one of the most important is steering. Go crossover! It is amazing at how tight your rig will turn with crossover steering compared to the stock setup with all the corrections!! GO BIG OR STAY HOME!!! Hehehehe!!

ken