Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why don't my zero rates fit!?!?!?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by FL84K5, Oct 12, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Why don\'t my zero rates fit!?!?!?

I've got an 84 Blazer, stock front and rear leaf springs. I don't have any experience whatsoever working on anything, so it took me four hours to get one side taken apart so I could finally install the zerorates. Well, the centering pins supplied with the zero rates dont go through my leafs. I tried drilling the holes bigger, but coouldn't get anything to drill through it. Not only that, but the hole in the spring pad is too small too! Is there a different kit for different year trucks, or do I need a Masters Degree in fabrication just to get these things to fit /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Why don\'t my zero rates fit!?!?!?

I myself do not have these yet, but from my understanding, they are a one size fits all. And that there will be a bit of modification involved to get them installed. If i'm wrong, someone will set me straight.

3. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I tried drilling through the spring pack to make the hole large enough, but the drill didn't even make a dent in it. And I don't see how I can even attempt to enlarge the hole in the spring pad, it looks like its pretty solid steel. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

you need to use a variable speed drill and use a slow speed (around 300-500rpm's)with some cutting oil (motor oil will work if you don't have cutting oil - oil helps to keep it cool and saves on drill bits). Hope this helps.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't know what to tell you....I just installed a set on the rear of my '88 K5 and it was a simple bolt-in procedure....

Are you sure you have "stock" springs? Maybe just excess rust making the holes "seem" smaller...? Just throwing out ideas, the ORD stuff is very well thought-out so I am reluctant to blame the kit for any "weirdness" that is going on.

Hope the ideas help.....good luck /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Completely stock suspesnsion wise. When I compared the short stock centering pin, it was quite a bit smaller diameter wise than the ORD one. Well, they arn't going in now until I get a suspension lift. Don't have time to tear it all apart again and try to drill it before Rebel Run /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

There shouldn't be any problems with them, sometimes the head is too big, there are some variations, but the easy way to fix that problem is to grind the head down to fit into the spring perch. The diameter problem is a strange one. I'm not sure what to tell you on that one, 3/8" should be 3/8" all the way. Sorry it didn't work out better. Now you have some practice though! It'll be faster next time.

8. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses. It must be my truck. My center pins are like 1/4 inch /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But, like Stephen said, next time will go a lot faster /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif