Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHY don't people take care of their gear? DISGRUNLTED RANT!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

WHY don\'t people take care of their gear? DISGRUNLTED RANT!!!!!

I have a bunch of salvaged /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif construction material that I'm hauling across the mountains to my acreage. I wanted to avoid doing 3 or 4 trips with my pickup(it's about 250 miles away), so I started asking around if anyone had a larger trailer to rent or borrow for the weekend. After 5 or 6 tries a stonemason buddy of mine said I could borrow his. It was perfect!!!!! 2200 lbs empty, 16 foot bed, 3 foot sides and to top it off it's running on 16" "E" range tires.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I went and picked up the trailer last night. The passenger brake light wasn't working, but I told him I'd install a new bulb. It towed pretty good, but it had a wierd shimmy at around 50-60 km/h(35-40 MPH) but nothing too bad. I pulled into the back of my place and started loading about 2500 lbs of sheathing, lumber, and siding by myself. 2 hours later I was done and went to bed happy.

WELL, this afternoon I went out to see about replacing the tailight bulb. It ends up being a POS wiring job that looks like it was done by a 5 year old. I try running a jumper wire but end up with nothing- it seems that different wires colors were used throughout the trailer and what starts off orange ends up being green at the taillights. Oh well.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Then I try and track down the shimmy. Needless to say I'm SHOCKED when I find that 3 out of 4 tires are worn down so much the wires are showing- I'm talking 0% tread at spots!!!! The worst part is that this dude hauls 5000 lbs of rundlestone at a time through the mountains..... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

By now I'm kinda choked, but I have a plan. I get ahold of the local tire guy and he happens to have 3 used(but still very usable) 245/75/16s. He'll sell and install them for $75. I decide to suck it up and pull out the impact to loosen up the lugnuts....and the first "braaap" snaps the stud off!!!! Let's just say I didn't bother trying a second lugnut.....

So now my garage is full of lumber again /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and the trailer's back at his yard.

WHY CAN'T PEOPLE TAKE CARE OF THIER GEAR?????? I would be embarassed if that was my trailer. And I sure as shite wouldn't lend it out in such bad condition. To think that I was gonna take that sucker through the mountains......

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Re: WHY don\'t people take care of their gear? DISGRUNLTED RANT!!!!!

I hear ya. I'm the same way. I'd end up spending more fixing the dude's stuff than it would cost to rent one, same as you. I'd get pissed and bring it back, too...

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a bunch of salvaged construction material...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiighttttt...... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Well to add to it, why cant people take care of what they borrowed.

I let a buddy of mine borrow my 60 foot strap. He had to go to Pennsylvania for work so I go to his house to get it tonite and realize that its tied around his frame. HMMM Strange. I look closer to find the loop missing! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif AND to add insult to injury, whoever rode in the truck dragging it home OBVIOUSLY didnt know how to be towed since the whole center of my strap has road rash from hell. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I dont get it, I have hit FL84K5 at WOT and came to a dead stop cause he was on the frame on that strap in the past. I didnt break it. Close to 6000 lbs of PI coming to a dead stop at 30-40 MPH yanking on an almost equal weight rig, and I didnt kill it. How in the world did his 3500 lb Ranger snap it when he was being pulled? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I did get a smile come over my face when I seen the damage it did on recoil. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Busted grille and headlite, and a HUGE dent that actually ripped the hood open where the clevis KO'ed his hood.

I wouldnt be pissed if he had told me he broke it and offered to replace it. Hope hes makin good money, that strap is gonna hurt his wallet to replace when he gets back.

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well to add to it, why cant people take care of what they borrowed

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a buddy that always gets screwed over when he lends stuff out (I would have quit long ago, but he is much nicer than I). Loans out his engine lift, then he has to go get it to use it, and it's missing parts. Always sh!t like that. People, as a general rule, are stupid.

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

All right get off the damn soap box and quit the damn crying. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Hey do you have any rental places around there? I have rented car trailers and stuff from those places before for like $75 a day.

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

That's how it work's for Me. Whenever I borrow anything from someone, it does'nt work, need's 4 hrs. of work to make it operate, will not move because of rusted shoe's to drum syndrome, or need's a battery. The list go's on and on, so I'll stop here, the forum does'nt have enough room.

That's why I try to have My own equipment, that I know is in "operating" condition. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i go by a few simple rules. if i loan out a tool and have to ask to egt it back when the person tells me they have been done with it, they dont get any more items on loan without deposit.

if i am told, " yeah, im done with it, come get it" they got no more tools.

if i get it back in a lesser condition than when loaned more than once without a simple explination and apology then they get no more tools.

when i borrow something, like a truck for example, i wash it, even if i didnt get it dirty, and i make sure it has more gas in it than when i got it.

ALWAYS give stuff back in better condition thatn ya get it. or pay the person a bit of cash,

now i know i was brought up a lot different that a lot of other folks out there, but thats how i am.
    grant

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i go by a few simple rules. if i loan out a tool and have to ask to egt it back when the person tells me they have been done with it, they dont get any more items on loan without deposit.

if i am told, " yeah, im done with it, come get it" they got no more tools.

if i get it back in a lesser condition than when loaned more than once without a simple explination and apology then they get no more tools.

when i borrow something, like a truck for example, i wash it, even if i didnt get it dirty, and i make sure it has more gas in it than when i got it.

ALWAYS give stuff back in better condition thatn ya get it. or pay the person a bit of cash,

now i know i was brought up a lot different that a lot of other folks out there, but thats how i am.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eggsackly...That's the only Decent thing to do...