Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why hub fuses?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by four_by_ken, Apr 24, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Anohter post brought this thought up to me...

Why buy and use the hub fuses? Why spend the money to replace the fuses when they blow? Why not just let the hub blow and have Warn replace it free of charge through warrenty?

Only reason I can think of is to try to save on shaft breakage.

Any one else have thoughts on this?

Ken H.

2. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

The idea is the fuse is easier to replace on the trail than the hub, axle shaft, or anything else in there. You can replace the fuse easy enough on the trail and be back on your way with a fully functioning rig again. Break an axle shaft or a hub, and even if you carry spares for them, it's gonna take a lot longer to fix on the trail. If you don't, it's 2wd or 3wd limp off the trail time./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The idea behind installing a weaker set of hub fuses is so they will break before the axle shaft or u-joint does. At $10 per fuse they are cheaper than a u-joint or an axle shaft, and the biggest advantage in my opinion is that they are quick and easy to change on the trail.

4. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

i had a set of hub fuses on my truck when i had a dana 44.i broke 2 warn axles with them in and never did break a fuse.i think they are a waste of money.the product was to good to be true

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

That's some good feedback. If you were breaking the high strength Warn axles before the fuses than I would definitely be skeptical of their usefullness.

I know a few months ago one of the 4x4 mags said that they "finally" broke one of the fuses.....they actually blew out the fuses on both sides and destroyed the locker.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Did you have the tires turned alot when the axls let go? Just wondering. Also, if they save you from having to replace an axle shaft just once, they have paided for themselves. If you still break the axleshaft, then it the long process of replacement, but if the fuse goes, and you repair it in 10 minutes, then it has more then paided for itself cost wise, and time savings wise. I have the fuses in my truck, but will have to replace them with the normal ring soon, because I am getting a front locker.

As for the magazine breaking 2 fuses, and the locker, that is there own dumb ass fault. It says right on the package that the hub fuses are NOT for locked axles, and if a fuse goes in a locked axle it will break the locker. It says that right on the package, so they can't say they weren't warned.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I use them.
    I have a D44 w/Warm CM Shafts, full circle 297s & WarnPr. Hubs.
    From what I read the original ring in Warn's Pr. hub is stronger in shear strength than a 297 Ujoint. So Warn's claim is that the new ring (fuse) was made 'weaker' than a 297 ujoint so if the stress gets that high the ring should 'spin' or break it's teeth before the 297 pops.
    Warn also says when the tires are turned ALL the rules change and it is now a matter or chance as to what part will fail first....
    I think it is a great idea. The thought of having to swap out a ring fuse instead or a 297 Ujoint is OK by me. Were talkin a 5min fix compared to a 1.5hr fix....no brainer
    My .02c

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

I did a pedal the metal wheel stand and took out my right front u joint , fuse , and my tranny<somehow not sure why >and my t case tailhousing split open too , but it drove back to camp /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

I did a pedal the metal wheel stand and took out my right front u joint , fuse , and my tranny<somehow not sure why >and my t case tailhousing split open too , but it drove back to camp /forums/images/icons/smile.gif oh and my wheels were strait

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree that the magazine guy was probably doing something stupid.

For the compatibility with the locker, I believe Warn specified only a Detroit Locker might fail when a fuse let's go, though I believe the magazine truck had a lock-right in the front (though breaking BOTH fuses at the same time is some pretty serious abuse). If you couldn't use the fuses with any locker it would kind of defeat the purpose.....if you are wheeling hard enough to need the fuses than there is a good chance you need a locker also.....

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have heard that the ARB air locker will hold if a fuse goes. They are built stout, and I would probably think the new Ox locker would hold up too. But I am getting a lockright in the front, so the fuses got to go. I can't afford to pay for a new front locker.

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't think it had anything to do with how strong the locker is. The possible failure of a Detroit Locker when a fuse let's go is because of how the locking mechanism of the Detroit is designed. I believe the failure mode is because there is some play in the design of the dogs (locking engagement splines) in the Detroit, when a fuse lets go it sends a huge reverse torque load to them and shock loads the splines which strips them out. Under normal circumstances the Detroit must not see that type of shock loading since common opinion is that Detroit lockers are very strong. The one question I have is why is the failure of a hub fuse different than breaking an axle or u-joint??? Also, how often does the locker fail when a fuse breaks?

The ARB locks together differently than a Detroit, or lock-right for that matter, so it does not see the shock loading when a fuse goes.

I know that a while back Warn did specifically say Detroit Locker, not Lock-Right, ARB, or any other type of locker but that might have changed.