Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why i cant stand car salesmen

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by terrier72, Mar 29, 2006.

1. terrier72

terrier72 1/2 ton status

I spent an hour and a half today figuring finances for a 2003 ford explorer sport, i thought i was getting a great deal. Well it turns out the salesman comes in at the last minute and tells me that the car we were planning to buy was the wrong one he was financing. This makes no sense to me either. So he says that he confused it with a 2001 model that they had at another lot. So he says he can have it there in about 20 minutes, well i wait and the car that he pulls up in is not fit to be sold at an auction. I was P.O.:mad: to say the least i spent the last two hours figuring to walk away with a great deal and i end up just pissed. The bad thing about it is that this is not the only thing that happened to this affect. I emailed the manager on tuesday night and he says he has the car and will accept my offer. When i show up they have no idea what i am talking about. So they find this other car and the BS starts. I am going to call the manager tomorrow at the dealership and let him know how inept his salesmen are and i think i might write FORD and let them know how this dealership is representing their ever degressing company. What would you all do? Sorry for the long post i just needed to vent.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That is the oldest game in the book, it's called "Bait and switch". Do some checking with the BBB or whoever oversees car dealerships in your area and lodge a formal complaint if possible. Around here there is a specific agency that liscenses and polices all car lots.

I would not go back and continue trying to deal with those arseholes if I were you.

Rene

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thats right. I used to sell cars and truck for a living, and I used to do that from time to time. This is how the scam works: :D

First, I would have some joker come in and give me a ridiuculisly low offer for a car (like $5000 for a car that booked at $20,000). Second, I would attempt to stear them to another car that was actually worth what they where offering, and then the usual demand, "NO! It is going to be that first car I was looking at or no car". Then, I would say "OK, lets go inside and do the deal" (sound familiar?) :D. Third, I would hammer them into a commitment to buy "A CAR" (I did not say what car) :D. Fourth, when they where watering at the mouth to drive off with their new $20,000 car that they bought for $5,000, I would bring up the car that I tried to steer them to, and say "oh, I'm sorry, I thought we where doing a deal on this car" (sound familiar?) :D, and then try to talk them into buying that car.

4. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Hey 1-ton. How did you handle the people with financing already in hand? I always had the loan already set and did not need their financing. It kept me from buying with emotional ties to a car.

I found the ACV of my car I was trading. If buying new. I would call two or three other dealerships for the best deal.

If trading, I would walk if the BS started. Too many cars and too many dealers.

This seemed to work for me.

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

TRUE THAT

IM a MEMBER of the BBB ,,lol, one time i told this dyke lady to go do something with herself,,,:haha: ,and the BBB was right there on my ass! :haha: :D

To make a long story short i gave her back her 360 bucks, so she got the job for free,and she also got an appology,

I diddnt mean it but still. :haha: The BBB ,they dont play.I pay to be a member, to keep my own ass in line :deal: :waytogo: :haha:

6. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

FORD wont care and will do little if anything to help you out. i would ignore this dealer alltogether, but make a call to the manager and tell him he just lost a customer. dont deal with them at all!!!!!. more than likely the manager will do the same to you when you call him. he'll probably tell you he will make it right if you come in, but dont fall for that either, remember he's the manager because he was more successful when he did that to people. if you're even considering a new car by chance, go to www.carsdirect.com. i saved $9000 on my 04 f350 stupid duty over what several local dealers said was their best deal. i have purchased 3 vehicles through them and am about to buy a 4th. get a price from them, then call around to dealers in big cities (L.A. or sanfrancisco here in ca.). you would be surprised the difference in price at a true volume dealer. also read www.carbuyingtips.com worth the time spent reading the site. it explains how the dealer really makes his money and what scams they will try. good luck!!

7. Jumbo

Jumbo Newbie

This is the type of crap that gives the good guys a bad name. I'm a car salesmen at a Lincoln dealership here in vegas and have never pulled this crap. My dealership has also never treated a customer the way you were treated. Sorry to hear about the treatment you received and I would absolutely run from that dealer. There is no reason for anyone to put up with that kind of BS. As with most businesses you have to shop around and do a little research to see who is good and who is out to just take your money. If you do plan on going to another dealership to purchase your car you can always check the BBB first to see if they have any complaints on file. Good luck with your purchase.

8. 1-ton

Most of the time when somebody had pre-approved credit, it was through a Credit Union. Many Credit Unions have pre-negotiated price deals with local dealerships, and the fleet managers would mostly handle these transactions...not the floor sales staff.

9. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Take it up the chain. In this order, complain to the sales manager, the general manager, then the owner.
    You can complain to Ford, but they probably won't have much to say about it.

10. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I worked at a dealership like like this, just stay away from them... we were never wrong if we got the customer to come back in because it was another chance to sell them a car

11. terrier72

terrier72 1/2 ton status

THis is my thing here, I signed a piece of paper saying that if the figures were right i would buy the car. He comes back in with the figures and i realized for what i was trying to finance the numbers were a little high, but still great. i just figured they were trying to recoup some of the total with a higher interest rate, thats fine i could still handle it. So i said i will take it well then he leaves and comes back in with the year scratched out on the paper and and says oh sorry i made a mistake.

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I have worked in dealerships for the better part of 20 years. I hate dealing with salesmen on so many levels. Not all are like the ones you are dealing with. IIWY I would go somewhere else.

13. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Carmax. That's all I have to say..

My Story: I was scheduled to move from FL where I bought an 02 Furd Expy from Carmax. Long story short, the tranny went out 2 weeks to the day after purchase, and 3 days before I was to drive/move to KY. I called Carmax, who told me to take it to Ford for repair. The repair estimate was 2 weeks, and after I informed Carmax that wouldnt work for me, they agreed to buy the car back, and set me up with another vehicle.

SOOO I will never buy a car from a dealer, only from the MAX! Thier warranty's cover TONS of stuff, thier service is excellent, and they handled my situation incredibly well, not to mention no haggle pricing. If you are going used, I would suggest checking them out.

14. terrier72

terrier72 1/2 ton status

I plan on reporting this dealership to the BBB, does anyone think this will do any good or am i just wasting my time?

15. 1-ton

That piece of paper meant nothing. It was just a mental game. In sales, there is a mental game called getting a customer to "commit". If a sales person can get a customer to verbally say, "yes I will buy that car today", then 6 times out of 10 an ignorant persons mind will be brainwashed into an impulse to buy, regardless of how badly they get screwed. Human beings are very audio and visually stimulated sentient beings, and you would be surprised at the power of writing something on a piece of paper, or inciting them to verbalize something can trick them into making a stupid decision.

It is also funny how people think that signing there name to a piece of paper is a "written in stone", "iron clad" commitment. It is not. You could sign your name to a Million pieces of paper or contract, and you still have not agreed to, or bought anything, until you actually drive the vehicle off the lot.

16. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Internet sales are a good deal also. Contact them via email, and ask them for what you are looking for. I have bought two trucks from the internet sales lady, very satisfied. She didnt do the whole "Hold on while I go talk to my manager" deal. She had the bottom line pricing at the dealership I bought from. It may not be that way at all dealers, but she beat ever dealer within a 150 mile radius.

17. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Nice.... What do you do now, phone scam seniors out of their retirement ?
    You know what? I think you are an asshat :waytogo: