Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why I don't like 1/2 tons Part II

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, May 29, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Not only can I not haul much, but I can't even powerbrake in a Wal Mart parking lot without this happening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was going to be the first time to finally not have to drive my 7mpg Crew Cab back and forth from place to place, and look what ends up happening.
    [​IMG]

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I like it.

3. mountainexplorer

After spending time yanking another 10-bolt carrier from a parts axle I had, swapping ring gears, and putting it back together to have one tooth on the pinion gear bind up with the ring gear creating a clunk... I've decided to convert the truck to 3/4 ton.

I hate semi-floater rear ends, but I have a 14-bolt SF rear with 3.73's and matching e-brake cables to bolt right into the truck. Along with some 3/4 ton 52" rear springs and 8-lug outers for the front... different u-bolts, rear driveline, 8-lug rims, and I should have it back to daily driver status again.

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah good time for an upgrade.

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem. Only once have I broken an axleshaft but on at least 5 different 10 and 12 bolts I have opened them up and they looked like that or worse. My latest failure was on an '03 Z71 burb. Broke two spider gears in half and sheered the retaining pin (gov-bomb equiped).

I can say that I have had good luck with the 14SF axle though

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

mmmmmmm 10 bolt spider soup :doah:

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Aren't they designed to do that?

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

yeah its called a torque fuse. In laymen terms it means do not ever try and actually use this rearend:rolleyes:

9. mountainexplorer

Usually, when I get a good 10-bolt rear (good meaning, nothing broken in it, since I call 10-bolts bad regardless), I try and sell the 1/2 ton stuff which sells easy because other people break theirs and need replacement.

Then I get cash for what I consider junk and swap in 3/4 ton stuff and don't have to worry about it.

I almost did that with this truck, but since the rear end was rebuilt, I figured I'd leave it 1/2 ton since I was going to just sell the truck eventually anyways. Guess I should have done what I normally do. Then I coulda gotten cash for the 1/2 ton stuff and ended up doing the same amount of work as I have to now. Only now the 1/2 ton stuff has no value to resell.

10. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

well what did you expect just letting those bolts and chunks of metal float around in there?:haha: 1/2ton stuff is crap!!

On a side note what are the specs of the truck in your avatar?

11. mountainexplorer

Well, it was all intact and in good shape until the big boom. After that it got pulled onto my car trailer and then taken apart.

The red '83 in the avatar has a Goodwrench 350 with Isky 270 cam, headers, Edelbrock intake and Carb, SM465, NP205, 14-bolt with Detroit, Dana 60 front welded, 4.88 gears, about an 8" lift and 40" tires. It's currently sitting cause I broke the 10-spline coupler between the tranny and T-case. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=659932050617184725

12. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

you have anymore pics of it?

13. mountainexplorer

14. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

didn't you learn after seeing what I did to my 10 bolt?

and btw you suck you have the parts to swap it to 3/4ton. I would loved to have done that when my rearend blew instead of putting more money back into the 10bolt

15. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

It looks funny with those itty-bitty tires. Like an elephant wearing ballet slippers. :D

16. mountainexplorer

Hey, how many times did I say you should just make it 3/4 ton in years past before you broke it? :p:

That '85 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban that I got the 350 out of for the yellow truck is now donating it's 14 bolt semi-floater rear end to it too.

17. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

wouldn't have costed me much more to do the 3/4ton swap, but then I owuldn't have needed wheels and tires. Bader had a set, but that wouldn't ahve been another 350 dollars. so instead of the 350 to fix the 10 bolt, would have been around a 1000 total. I would have loved too, and those tires I wanted look sweet on someone elses burb he just swapped to 3/4ton