Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why I don't like 1/2 tons

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 20, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Today my planned estimated "1 hour visit" to check this place out:
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/151894908.html

turned into a 5 hour browsing and buying session with myself and a friend dragging home this "small load" of misc parts we bought. I spent $187 out of my "396 rebuild fund" and my friend spent $158. By my standards, this was a small load, but it was a big load for the little 1/2 ton yellow truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have flattened 1-ton rear springs before, but this load reverse arched the 1/2 ton springs quite a bit.

[​IMG]

All we had in the back was:

10-bolt front end
    Dana 44 front end
    2 350 shortblock cores
    pair SBC heads
    2 mud tires- 1 38" and 1 36"
    2 15.5" rims with small tires
    Ford transmission
    2 dodge dropout pumpkins
    misc lug nuts, Ford grille parts, oil pans, shopping cart, 4 rancho RS9000 shocks, 10 other misc shocks, 2 aftermarket sunvisors, small cable for hand winch, single chrome stack, 1 Holley 600 carb, box of automotive books, and one '68 GMC core support (which ironically my friend had sold to and never got paid from the guy who had gotten evicted from this piece of property- so he ended up with it back again).

Our combined total was $345 spent. But it was fun. Ok, time to get back and do what I was supposed to have done today

2. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

that's alot for a half ton. i heard negative arch is good for the springs.:wink1:

i take it your friend bought the ford parts.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats a lot of crap for a 1/2. I hate half tons. No towing capacity, no weight carrying capacity, no power, and NO DIESEL option!:wink1:

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

What are you talkin about no diesel option...both diesels I own are half tons, hell ones a half ton 2wd:D

A guy I know has like a 94 or 95 or somethin like that halfton with a 6.5 I didnt know such things existed.

Nice haul btw, you still have room for more, if ya stick a wooden block between the frame and the rear axle you can crame that box full, just watch the sidewalls on your tires:wink1:

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that 1/2 ton isnt even close to loaded yet. the rear tires arent rubbing the inner tubs.

6. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

them mudflaps must be pretty heavy.

7. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Thats a nice score for what you paid!

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, I meant a real diesel...one where all the pistons are in a single row....:wink1: Nah, just teasing. The 6.2 and 6.5 are great, just not overly powerfull.

I meant late model anyway.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yeah, i was kinda thinkin that rear solid steel bumper must be pretty heavy as well.:doah: :D

10. mountainexplorer

I would have tried to fit more but I didn't want to spend more money and I didn't have any good tie downs or straps with me to be able to keep stacking the pile higher and safely or legally transport it down a road.

I have loaded my Crew Cab 1-ton to where it's sat like that before. But that was a real load. Darn 4-leaf 52" rear springs on this 1/2 ton don't hold anything. I unloaded the 1st of the 2 350 shortblocks and the truck just about lifted up 2 inches.

It normally sits almost level. Gotta love the "straight" line the previous owner painted when they sprayed the bottom half black. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

11. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

That's what my '85 1/2 ton looked like when I was pouring concrete. We loaded it down with 2'x4' steel frame concrete forms. When I turned on to the highway my front end hopped due to lack of traction. Luckily I only had to go about 1/4 mile to unload them. :D

Rick

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Looks like it time for those coil-over overload shocks. :D

13. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:doah: Alllen , with all those one ton crews you have why the hell did you take a halfton????

14. mountainexplorer

The crew cab was parked hooked to the trailer. I just recently got the yellow '84 running and have been using it for a driver. And originally I hadn't intended on buying anything.

15. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

I've had 3600lbs of concrete in the back of my dads half ton. Ya its sat really really low. It was all fine untill I tried to brake:eek1: Least it was only for a few blocks.

16. yellowK20

:D
    all right I can relate to that

17. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

"i never intended on buying anything" HAH... you should know yourself better than that. Btw thats not loaded that bad, I've had my 85 k10 loaded heavier, and I've loaded much much worse at work on half tons.

btw how that for a daily driver with 35s, 3.08s and a 4spd? Gotta love that huh? Do you start off in granny so you dont lug it from a start?

18. mountainexplorer

I thought it would be 3.07's but it can't be. With 35's I can burn out easy on pavement (to the point I'm worried about blowing up the 10-bolt rear). It just can't be 3.07's... has to be 3.73's cause a Goodwrench 350 doesn't have enough power to spin 35's that easy with 3.07s. I'm surprised the thing does what it does as it is. Like I said, I need to watch how I drive it or the 10-bolt will be blown soon.

19. yellowK20

[quote I need to watch how I drive it or the 10-bolt will be blown soon.[/quote] it's cool man i'm sure you have spares:laugh:

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

great idea, as if the shock mounts werent inadequate enough, lets make them support a load.:rolleyes: