Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why I don't want 12" of lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Oct 11, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Why I don\'t want 12\" of lift

This pic is from left Hand Canyon in Colorado, the guys that went with me know what I am talking about, it was only a 29 degree angle but was a large pucker factor (snowed the day before). This is why I cut the fenders instead of lifting it real big to clear tires. I can't imagine a super tall lift, I almost crapped my pants as it was. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

2. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: Why I don\'t want 12\" of lift

That looks COOL! Was your rig really about to tumble down down down the hill and in to a tree? I see what you mean...no 12in lift for me

Waiting for the surgeon general to ban K5's and Jimmys for being too addictive

3. mybeast

mybeast Registered Member

Sweat photo. How many inches of lift is on your truck.

When all else fails MASH skinny pedal!

4. CK5

5" of suspension lift. I don't think I was going over, that is why Chris is pushing me up the hill with his brute strength. I think when Chuck slipped off a little in his Blazer he must of soiled his shorts though. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. CK5

I forgot to mention, do you think I enjoy going 4 wheeling and testing new parts, of course not, I do it for you guys, because I care about you, I want to make sure you know what your buying, do you know how hard it is to fake a smile when your locked in 4-low and climbing over rocks? The things I go through for you guys. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

gee Steve, you're the best, whatta guy, were all glad you put up with going thru all this horrible torture for us, just so we are more educated. [​IMG]

matt

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

7. mybeast

Ya! That must be pretty ruff wheeling on the weekends, testing knew and b@$%tchin stuff.

When all else fails MASH skinny pedal!

8. mybeast

Ya! That must be pretty ruff wheeling on the weekends, testing knew and b@$%tchin stuff.

When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!

9. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

If you were in a lifted jeep instead of your Blazer, you would be showing pics of a twisted heap at the bottom of the hill. LOL

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

This leads me to ask a question that I've been meaning to ask for quite some time... What is the critical angle for the average K5? Does anyone have a rough idea of the angle at which a K5 will roll? Figure that most of us have 4-6" lift kits and 33-35" tires so we could use that set up as the "average" K5 that would see extreme angles. Now we just need someone to go out and do a couple tests and report back, or at least have their next of kin report back to us, the angle at which the truck rolled. Any volunteers?? Remember, it's for the good of the group. [​IMG]

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

11. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

OK, You send me around 3500 dollars then I'll go test the angle for a rig with a 2.5" lift and 33" tires, someone else will have to take up the 4" of lift and the 35" tires.
    OH, Thanks for torturing yourself on the weekends on our behalf Steve, it's a rough job but somebody's gotta do it[​IMG]
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ya know Steve, I wish that pics would depict the pucker factor rather than the true angle huh? I have so many pics taken during a high pucker spot, but the pic comes back and I go... dang... it felt a lot farther than that! From the looks of it, your truck looks far from actually rolling, but it would be pretty cool to be able to strap the truck down, and actually tilt it until it reaches the breakover point. At least that would be a starting point. Of course there are so many variables, speed, bumps, susp. stiffness, weight distribution of cargo etc. Guess its just trial and error!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

13. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

You're right Steve.The smell from my underpants wasn't very pleasant on the ride home.When I was going across that spot I heard one of the guys holding onto my rig say "HOLY S*%#",That didn't help much!
    I can personally vouch for Steve about the PUCKER FACTOR [​IMG]on that spot!
    I thought I was cool when I got the 12' wide rims with the goofy offset.Wider isn't always better!!!!! I think that might have been the reason I had to back up and go higher on the hill,4 times,either that or Tim wasn't a very good spotter.I'm pretty sure that Tim wasn't the problem though.(That guy kiks butt as a spotter!!!!)

Chuck
    81 Blazer
    Colorado,USA

14. Re: Why I don\'t want 12\" of lift

You suck !! Just rub it in some more Steve. I just found an ORV Park less than an hour from me, it is about 100 acres and looks to be blaze your own trail kind of place that is just starting out. I will see !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

15. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks for taking on that rough burdon for everyone. You are a real team player. If you ever need someone to help just let me know!!

go heavy or go home

16. CK5

I would like to know what the "no return" angle is also, I have heard some where around 45 degrees but there are a lot of factors to that, I know the tilt-o-meter on my dash only goes up to 45 degrees as well, I have only had it up to 35 degrees since I got the gauge (only $9.95 by the way) and it should read: sweat - soil shorts - hold on.

[​IMG]

17. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Thump, I agree with you man. One time recenlty when I was wheelin, I climbed this really steep hill and turned at the top. It was so steep, that I seriously thought that it was over, I was going to roll all the way down. I had to turn hard on the wheel so It will turn the front end to go down instead of sideways. If I stayed sideways a second or two more, then it was over. (atleast I think) Anyway, my friend took a pic of me doing that, and when I looked at the pic, I was like, "hell no, it was a lot steeper lookin' than that!" I wanted to post it here, but since the pic didn't look too hot, I decided not to.
    Anyways, Steve, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to go wheelin to test out stuff for us. I know you hate it and all, but thanks.[​IMG]!
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

18. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

Steve that makes me feel alot better to know that you dont enjoy it. And to think,, all the days I've been at work wondering what cool new product Steve will have a feature or pic of tonight on the great K5 page. Now I can work this weekend (6th in a row) with out being jealous knowing that deep down you dont like it. You know if it ever got to much to handle I imagine a few of us would be willing to help, even though it might be painfull and boring.. LOL capeeche brother.........

<font color=blue>SLODAWG</font color=blue>
    http://www.slodawg.coloradok5.com

19. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

Steve, this angle dosen't look to bad, your on the top side of it (from the driver seat) its when your on the down side that really gets the pucker factor going.

20. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Awww, come awn Steve!! 12" is FUN, especially when you're duning!!! Come awn down to So Cal and we'll hit Glamis and do some duning in my 12" lifted Suburban!!! The difficulty of the hill is gauged by how much seat upholstery you suck up your a**!!! Hehehehehe!!!!

ken