Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why I hate AutoZone....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Mar 16, 2006.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wifes Expedition's check engine light is on so off to AZ I go for a free OBD. Problem is that no one there knows how to use the damn thing and they won't just let you borrow it. So I grab the 19 yr old from behind the counter and the OBD and go show him how it works.

It reads EGR Insufficient and EGR Excessive. Simple enough, the EGR Valve is most likely bad. But the AZ looks at the OBD and determines that it must have a problem because the EGR (he has no idea what this is) can't be both under and over, it is simply impossible.:rolleyes:

So we go back in, I follow him to the counter and he looks surprised and asks if I need him to look up a part. Yeah, maybe an EGR valve would be a good idea. Then he asks, as serious as a heart attack, "so what type of vehicle is it?" and i could not help but to remind him that he was 1) outside with me and the truck and 2) could clearly see it through the window. I then told him anyway when it dawned on me that sarcasm was not his strong point.

If they were not so convenient, I would go elsewhere, but I supposed that I am doomed to repeat this conversation.....:(

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

LOL
    I have to prepare myself every time I go into one of those stores. Thinks to self..." Keep calm, ask for a book, try to remember some kind of truck that came with the part I want."
    I needed a conversion ujoint last night and I showed the guy how to look up my trucks part and a 1 tons part and look in the book under "conversion" to tell him what one I needed. I said 1350 and he asked if that was the part number because their part numbers were only 3 digits.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Almost every time I go into AZ here I have to actually point to the screen on the comp so they will know what to click on. I have a '90 K5 (which is a V10 on their system) and it throws them into complete chaos. They cannot distinguish it between Chevy trucks, a K5, and an S-10. And I can tell you DO NOT call them and ask for a part. When they begin to ask you obvious questions you know they have pulled up the wrong vehicle. Its so funny that their advertisements say "their expertise is free of charge". :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  4. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

I am going on record just to say I sympathize with you all. Autozone should spend some money on training employees rather than just slapping up as many stores as they can and packing it full of parts and monkies.

5. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I have to do this same thing when I buy parts for my jeep. They really don't know what to think when I will ask for a part for a certain year chevy truck, look at it, say no that's not it, try a different year. then I will get them asking what year mine is, and I tell them not to worry about it, unless they keep pushing, then I will say fine, look up an 81 Jeep CJ7, 1 ton, with a chevy 350 and tell me if that is in your computer.:doah: :D

6. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I always look up my own parts when I go in there. I used to work there so I know their system. Yesterday I was standing there looking stuff up when the manager asked me "Do you work for AZ?" "No, but I used to. I always look up my own parts, saves you the hassle." He said that looking up parts for customers is their job. :rolleyes:

Oh and I hate the whole OBD reader thing. Some of the guys will just let me take it, some will make me give them my license to use it, and others go out with me. One manager one time said something to the kid working about if he could pay the $10k fine. I asked the kid WTH that was about and he just shrugged. After he read it, I told him to shut off the light. (I told him the code before he scanned it, it was a continuous problem, I just hate looking at that light) He said he couldn't clear the code, so he just handed it to me. :haha:

7. Caseyrey

Caseyrey Registered Member

I agree with all of you all they do is pack the store full of idiots. Also I have the smae problem everytime i go in for a simple part they freak out about the whole V10 crap. After my last visit when i was done showing an employee that they lend steering wheel pullers which he had never heard of and was on there lending tools advertisement on the counter between me and him the manager offered me a job. All I did was laugh all the way home:haha: :haha: :haha:

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Do what i did, memorize all the numbers for the basic questions and options, and just tell them the numbers.

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Every other time I step into our local Napa, I get offered a job, lol

I know the guys who work there pretty well, and yeah, I basically grab a free computer, find what I am looking for, then go to the back, get it, then pay for it myself. No questions asked by the manager, or anyone else, lol

If it is esspecially busy, I'll help a customer too, lol

Its just too far to drive, and too little pay to be worth my while, after driving 20 minutes to work, I've burned all but like 5 or 10 bucks of my nightly paycheque in gas, lol

10. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One time when I was at the local AutoZone, the guy in front of me in line was ordering a part for his K2500. The employee asked him if it was a over 8,600lb. GVW or under. The guy said that he didn't know. The counter guy said that he couldn't help him if he didn't know which one it was. I piped up and asked if it had a 350 or 454 in it. The guy said that it has a 454 in it, and I told him that its a over 8,600lb. GVW. The store manager overheard the whole thing and he offered me a job there.

11. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i agree that is how most of the autozones are....but the one thats about 15 minutes away in Malden is awesome.....most of them know what they`re doin...i`m also finding that Advanced Auto Parts isn`t that bad either

12. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I asked for a V-belt by part number once at a local Autozone and the counter guy could not comprehend it - he had to look it up by application. Soooo , I played along and gave him a generic application that I knew was close enough just so he could see the part number on the screen.
    The part came up as a "15360" and I originally asked for a "15365" which is a 1/2" longer. The guy went right over to the wall and grabbed the 15365 and asked how I could have possibly knew the number. I schooled him on the number system of that brand of belts - "15" = 15/32's and "365" = 36.5" long . He had no idea that you could decifer a belt width and length by the number system - it is a shame that most parts houses ( Autozone being the WORST ) do not stock the counter with folks that have product knowledge .

Tom

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

bah.. i love these stories

14. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Hah cool. I never knew that.

Local Parts Source (AZ in canada) is pretty good. once in a while you have to guide the guy behind the counter a little, but there are 3 or 4 guys who work there that actually know their stuff.

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I have a favorite store (O'Reiley's) location that I always go to. The managers know me, not well enough to let me use their computers, but well enough that they know what vehicles I drive. I also get a discount from them, it just sucks when I get one of the new guy bafoons.

I walked in once, looking for a tranny filter and gasket....

"I need a filter kit for a Chevy 4L60E transmission."
    "A what transmission?"
    "4L60E"
    "What vehicle"
    "95 T-10 blazer, w-code"
    "Four wheel drive?"
    "Uhh, yeah"
    "Vortec?"
    "Ayep"

Hate repeating myself >:|

16. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    not to be a dick or anything, but everytime I go to AZ I have to drive about 15 mins into town and then 15 mins back to realize that they gave me the wrong part. pretty annoying considering i have to drive another total of 30 mins or so, wait in long ass lines, and risk the chance of getting the wrong part...again...& this hasn't happened on just one occasion:doah: :rolleyes:

17. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I went in one time looking for a basic inline fuel filter. I think I was going to use it on my boat or something I don't really remember. Anyway, I couldn't find the things so I went to the counter and asked where they were. He immediately goes to the computer wants to know vehicle, model, blah blah blah................:doah:

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i actually applied at Auto Zone a couple years back. went through 2 interviews with the local store manager, one with the district manager, and one with someone higher up than him :dunno: they said that they liked what i had to offer, but wouldnt hire me because i was overqualified for the job. that's terrible, a parts guy who has a clue whats going one. :screwy:

19. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    well i got an even better one...once went in to order parts for the little ole 12 bolt...
    guy said "what kind of vehicle is it?"
    i said "'72 K5..."
    guy "i'm sorry sir we don't have parts for that."
    me "you don't have parts for a Blazer??!"
    guy "ooh..."

the nerve of that guy...pissed me right off this planet...how can anyone not know what a K5 is... :)

20. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Okay, while most of these guys are idiots I have to say that I don't blame them for not knowing what a T-10 W-code is. Even if they don't know the C/K system, I won't blame them... though I may think that they have lived in a cave the last 30 years.

We know these vehicles amazingly well so this stuff is common knowledge
    , but you cannot expect them to know every manufacturer code for every vehicle. That's why they have a computer and go to it regularly.

How many of you could get me a Fuel Injector for a 1991 BMW, E34 with M30B35 and Motronic 1.2? It wouldn't be in the computer like that, but I know perfectly well what I'm talking about.

However, when they cannot get you the right part it pisses me off. I mean, how hard is it to remember the 5-digit number on the computer screen long enough to find the same number printed on a box.

Those are the guys that are idiots. And they all work for Checker's, I swear...