Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why I hate electric gauges - and why I'm an idiot

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TX Mudder, Jan 1, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Why I hate electric gauges - and why I\'m an idiot

I have a 96 Dodge Ram with 110,000 miles on it that I've had since new.
    It is on its third electric oil pressure sender. What happens is the oil pressure reads zero, obviously, and I promptly spend the $30 or so to get a new one.
    This last time the sender went out, I decided I was fed up with it. Why pay the money if I will only have to replace it again.
    So, I've been driving around with zero on the oil pressure gauge and I hear a knocking sound. Hmmm, truck's getting old maybe that's an exhaust leak. I get around to checkinmg the axhuast - it's tight, no leaks. Maybe something the the IFS, who knows. I keep driving it for about 1000 miles until it's time for my every 3500 mile oil change.
    I remove the oil pan bolt and out comes......maybe 1 quart. Bad news. I remove the oil filter and it's like half full.
    Put 5 quarts in it and start it up - magically the sound is gone. Duh.
    If the stupid electric sender hadn't gone out so many times I would have checked the oil level, but since it's never been low before.

Ok, I am assuming the sound I was hearing is valve clatter. Anyone want to guess if I screwed up the lower end?
    The engine is a 5.9 (360) Magnum v-8.

-- Mike

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Why I hate electric gauges - and why I\'m an idiot

oh no thats bad juju...more than likely you did some damage to it...it may still work but who knows for how long /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

That's kind of what I figured. I think I probably shaved some life off the engine with my brilliance. On the other hand, it's already at 110K, so how much more life does it have anyway - maybe 150K?
    I'll drive it till it stops - I've always maintained it pretty well up to this point.

On a side note, how expensive are the magnum 360s to rebuild?
    I have checked several engine kit places and that all sell kits for the pre Magnum 360s (before 94.)
    I have rebuilt my chevy v8, so this wouldn't be too big a stretch for me if needed.
    Problem is this is my daily driver. I guess I need to get the Chevy reliable for DD status if needed.
    -- Mike

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

ill talk to one of my friends who is a tech at a dodge dealer here in town and see what he thinks it would cost

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'd appreciate that.
    -- Mike

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i just called him and he said that if you pulled the motor and took it down to a shop (not a dealer) and had it rebuilt lookin at about 1200...but he also said that one of his friends at work has a new 360 sittin at his house and he has no plans on using it...he is goin to ask him what he wants for it if you are interested.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I still plan to drive it until something happens.
    I drove it to the store and back and it felt great, actually, very quiet and full of pep. No telling what the bearings look like, but it's still OK now.
    I appreciate the info. I don't think shipping from CA to houston would be economical.
    I am glad to hear $1200 as a ballpark figure. WHen the day comes, I still think I may rebuild it myself (minus machine work and the heads)
    -- Mike