Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why I hate Remanned parts...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Oct 29, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

grrr. today i decided to finally replace my powersteering pump since it was getting to where i was having a helluva time steering when i wasn't moving. so i bought a replacement, one of the ones which doesn't come with the resevoir. so, i pull out my pump, no big deal. i'm trying to get the pump out, and it's not working. i try and get the pulley off and i ruin the pulley. crap, so i'm starting to get frustrated. my half hour project has turned into about an hour and a half (with running to the parts store and buying a crappy puller tool, then getting pissed b/c it was a piece so i had to go get another.) so, i find a pump and pulley in the area, drive out to BFE to buy it, then get treated like crap from the a-hole counter guy. Drive over to the ware house after paying to pick it up, finally get back to my place to put it all together. then, as i'm installing the pulley on the new pump, the bolt and nut they provide for installing the press-fit pulley has a problem and binds up. fortunately i had another bolt which i was able to rig up to work with the use of a long socket as a washer and a few chain links, so i spend a good half hour getting the damn pulley on. great, it's on, just put it in the rig and be done with it, right? no, the freaking threads on the pulley which the hydroboost brake line screws into are messed up so i couldn't even install the POS! :mad: what a waste of an afternoon. ofcourse it was too late to have anything done with it too, go figure. so now i'm out of a vehicle till i can get the right part in, and i don't think they have anymore in the ware house. i don't want to risk ruining the pulley, so i'm goign to ask them to give me a new pulley for the trouble. we'll see what happens. i hate parts stores - i'm rarely ever properly taken care of at a parts store and the people are either dumb or aholes. :doah:

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

We've ALL been there, sadly. We feel your pain brother.
    I've found a nice local parts store (not a chain, like Autozone, checker...etc), Once they get to know you, they let you puruse the books yourself, so you can ensure you get the right part, and see what range of quality there is (alot of places just assume you want the cheap crap, because that's what 90% of people want). Good parts do exist, finding them is the hard part. Only down side is they don't stock a lot being a smaller store, but most everything can usally be there by the next morning. ANd, it costs a little more becuase they are small. But that's OK with me. Getting a quality part that fits the first time and is going to last is the number one prioity for me. I pay them cash too, because they (as well as most any merchant) take a 2-4% hit for using a credit card. I walk in there now and it's like NOrm walking into Cheers, I walk straight behind the counter to the books (my barstool) and tell 'em which part I want. Sit with a coffee and BS a little, come back the next day and pick up my part. Not being a chain, they can usally get more range of parts too. Like autozone just asks "Do you want the cheap one or the duralast." The duralast is just a name, and a duralast sticker on the part. Ask for Moog TRE's (or any quality name brand), and they at look you funny, some don't even know what Moog is. The non-chain places are not locked in to one brand or another.

3. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

What do you mean by pulley the hydroboost line screws into? are you talking about the fitting on the back of the pump? you can unscrew that and swap it with your old pump, its real easy. just use the oring on the one you put back in.

4. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Miller Brothers Auto Parts in Clackamas - that is where I always go - or the auto parts store across from Napa in OR City are both great.

DO NOT GO INTO OR CITY NAPA - they give the people that work at DMV a good name.

5. colbystephens

holy crap i hate remanned parts. the parts store took care of me - got another one in and what not. it installed just fine, and it worked.... for a week! i installed it properly, i primed it properly - took care of everything. now it doesn't even squeal, it just simply hardly works or doesn't work at all. it's quite a surprise to take a tight corner like normal, expecting the steering to respond and then having a helluva time getting around the corner w/ out hitting someone. i have to wait till the beginning of next week to get a new one in too. freaking sux.

6. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

What he said ^^^^^

although i do like the napa in clackamas. but the oregon city one does bite.

7. colbystephens

yeah, i've been in there quite a bit, b/c they're the only place near my inlaws which is open on sundays (usually the only day i'm out there). they're all a bunch of idiots, but i usually get what i need.

8. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

It could be a worn gear box. I dont know too much about them cause I never had mine apart. I had a similar problem thet you described, usually at lower speeds. Since I was changing both the box and the pump, I really didnt care where the problem was. Its gone now. Just a thought.

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

That sounds like air in the lines... sometimes these pumps take forever to bleed...and they dont always make noise when they have air in them....

10. colbystephens

wouldn't i have noticed the airin the lines at some point before? instead of 2 weeks later?

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you use an installer for the pulley? Or did you drive it on?

12. colbystephens

installer.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

where are you getting your remans? i rarely have problems with them, but i tend to go to Napa, or the local AC Delco dealer before considering Vato Zone. i'd almost bet you're buying whatever the kid behind the Shucks counter throws at you arent you? gotta be picky and choosy with your parts suppliers.

14. colbystephens

i buy almost exclusively thru a small local chain called baxter autoparts. they're real good for performance stuff, but not so much with the old diesel stuff - tho from my experience no one is. their supplier is mostly partsmaster - any reputation for them?

15. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Baxter is one of the better ones in this area, however if you need stock parts and not high performance than i tend to lean a little twords napa. I think baxter usually has more knowledge behind the counter but they dont tend to stock very much oem.