Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is a 2WD lift kit impossible to find?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fixmy59bug, Aug 30, 2006.

1. fixmy59bug

fixmy59bug Registered Member

I have tried searching everywhere for a 2WD lift kit for my 89 GMC R1500 suburban. I have since swapped out the suspension from my 73 C20 Suburban and fitted Hummer H2 wheels. But I need to find (at most) a 4" lift kit. The rear is simple. I am thinking of going with the 4" shackle flip kit from ORD. But where on earth can I find a 2WD lift kit for the front? If anyone can provide links, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

2. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

This is just a guess, but one reason 2WD lift kits might be hard to find is that a primary reason for having a lift in the first place is to make room for taller tires. The taller tires are used to get more ground clearance under your axles and other driveline parts, so that you're less likely to hang up on difficult terrain - where you probably wouldn't often take a 2WD anyway, especially not a 2WD, front-engine rear-wheel-drive vehicle.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

For the same reason it is hard to find a lowering kit for a 4WD. 4x4's are usually lifted and 2x4's are usually lowered not lifted.

5. fixmy59bug

fixmy59bug Registered Member

Well, I may have found as big of a lift kit as I am going to find for my truck (as well as the only kit I could find). It is a Fab-Tech 3" in front and 2" in the rear. The only thing that concerns me is how this kit lifts the truck. It relocates the upper ball joint from bolting through the top of the upper control arm to below and adds a 3 " spacer between the arm and ball joint. It also adds a 3" lift spring. The 2 things that concern me are 1) adding spacer on one of the most crucial points in the suspension, and 2) wouldn't this increase the angle of the lower control arm thereby decreasing the travel room of the lower ball joint? How reliable of a lift kit would this be? Granted, it is the only suspension lift kit I can find, but if this type of lift is not reliable, I will just go with a body lift. Of course, if this kit is CK5 approved, I may still get a 2" body lift to get the 5" that I was hoping for.

6. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

they do make suspension lifts for 2wd and the warehouse I use to order from has it all in stock, the down side is... only for the half tons not the 3/4's. I believe the spindles and ball joints are different. You could always just do air bags up front????

rear lift doesn't matter way too many options back there.