Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is Chevy better than the others?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 3 on the tree, Feb 16, 2005.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

OK, everyone boo me at the same time. I have been turning wrenches as a hobby for over 30 years now, and I still cannot see any evidence of brand superiority.I personally think that every brand has good and bad points. Yall wanted lively, so let the melee begin!!!

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

The argument is stupid as hell, I'm with you on that

The thing I like is the complete interchnagability, big axles available cheap, and they're common common common

3. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

As far as the trucks go, the 73-87 style are the easiest vehicles in the world to work on. Most of the parts are interchangeable and if not, easy enough to make work in a pinch. Fords are just weird. Too many mid-year changes. Basically comes down to having to use the VIN to get the right part. I know this from owning them. Besides, parts for Chebbies are cheaper! Dodge I know nothing about so I wlill say nothing :D

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no one is superior in my book. They all have their good points, anyone who doesn't see that is blind. My rig is gonna be a Chevy, Smallblock powered, Ford 205, Ford High Pinion 60, GM 14 bolt(may dump it for a Ford or Dodge axle), and Jeep springs. I own Chevys, I probably always will, you know why? Cause I was raised on Chevys. I know the inside of a SBC like the back of my hand. Maybe someday if I get a job at a race shop I will learn the insides of a Ford motor and trans and go with one of those setups. I don't care about brand loyalty anymore, its just what I know and think is best. If running a Chevy part is going to hurt me, why would I do it? I found a new respect for Ford with my sister's 93 Mustang, my buddy has a sweet Cummins powered 2500 Dodge, another has a nice 3500 with a Cummins, another friend has a Ford F350 with the 6.0. They all have great points, but I can also tell you crappy things about them all. Want to know osmething? I can tell you way more crappy things about my Chevys.

5. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Sled Dog, I completely agree. I have no brand loyalty either. I decide what kind of truck I want, then see who makes the closest thing to it! I know for sure that my next truck will be a Dodge with the Cummins. But my first love has always been the K5. Don't care much for the pickups though..... Sorry guys....

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

to me its like a sports team, you love yours and hate your teams rivals. i dont take the vehicle thing any farther than that, i do love GMC and Chevy more than any other make out there, but i dont hate people who are into furds and heeps.. lol dont want to dirty up ck5 with the actual names

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

i really only like gm's, but if i had to get a newer truck id take a 05 super duty over any other new trucks, i love them. but if i had a million $, id buy a gm and do a sfa and get the 8.1, add a super charger and the Allison tranny

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am partial to my Dodge cummins but it has it's bad points too. I also agree that they all have their good and bad points. Regardless if it's a Dodge cummins, Chevy dmax, or Ford PS...it's going to be a good truck.

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I have to agree about not buying into brand loyalty. My daily driver is an 04 Superduty, and play truck is K5. My sled is Yamaha, my bike is Honda, guns - well just yes please on that one! :D Buy what is needed for the task. I have to admit to being a Ford guy- but alot of that is from my upbringing. There was not a Chevy dealer on the island where I grew up, so everyone drove Fords. We have five Suburbans for our lodge- and we spend way more time working on them than the six or seven Ford trucks we use. However, they are pretty much stock, wheeled lightly every day all summer/fall long hauling clients to the river- and don't get much TLC. However, it sure is nice that all parts are interchangable. With Fords that is alot harder. Buy what you need and if someone doesn't like- they can buy what they want.

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I just am dammit, now move on with your life already...:p:

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

10 bolt axels:tongue1: :rotfl: :rotfl:

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, the GM's just seam too last longer for me. Never had a new truck, but have had quite a few used trucks. Seams that the Chevys hold up better and have been less coin out of pocket to fix. Simple too work on till you get into the computer controled stuff, then I'm lost no matter who made it.

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Hahahahaha, seams, hold up, pocket

14. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

like simple things about a chevy like (70's-80's)alt and regulater in one just one part to go bad. Same about starter goes bad get anther then just exchange when next one is bad. Fords then had fusable links and such that i did not like. It is easy for me to go get a $200 motor and it goes in a chevy but with fords harder to do this. I have had fords that were good but not as my chevy k-10 has been. If i bought a newer truck though late 80's or up it would most likely be a ford since they got away from some of the old wiring problems. Like said 73 -87 are simple. Besides i love my 73. Only options the orginal owner got was v8 and 4x4 so no shoulder belts, ac, interior lights, etc.. very simple and basic.

15. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I like that on the most part, Chevy 4x4's retain higher resale value over Ford and Dodge, plus their interchangability of parts.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my 1997 Chevrolet C2500 has a starter from my 1984 Chevrolet K5. Try that with a Ford :D

17. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My 84 Cherokee has a starter from a 95 Firebird!!!

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

just buy american, if thats possible.:confused:

19. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i found something strange 2 years ago,look in the truck trader and you see more chevy's at ford dealers for sale than fords at chevy dealers for sale.:dunno: :dunno:

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That is funny. My father in law was manager at a Ford dealership in Omaha, Ne. (HP Smith) I went too a few dealers only auctions with him, he always bought more Chevy trucks then Ford. When I asked him why, he said they sold better. That was back in the mid 90's. Late modle trucks, nothing older then 3 years old.