Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is every thing so DAM DIFFICULT??.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by diesel4me, Jan 31, 2007.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Seems like every thing I do is harder than it has to be lately...:mad:

I had a bunch of brand new fan belts I got from a friends repair shop when it closed and he moved to a new place a few years ago..since my 82 K20 has had the same cracked belts on it since I bought it,I decided to see if any happened to fit it yesterday..we had snow coming,so I decided to do it before it got nasty out..didn't like the idea of doing it during a blizzard!..

Mistake #1. Surfing CK5 until 3pm!..thought I'd have plenty of time to do a "simple" fan belt replacement..the 6.2 with no A/C is pretty easy to work on..or so I thought...

Guess the last guy who owned it didn't have metric wrenches..all the bolts were boogered,but I got them loose OK..took 20 minutes to do it though..

Tried matching up my old belts to the new ones..found an nearly exact match for the P/S pump,a nice "Gates" belt!--but fought with it for 20 minutes more before I found why the pump refused to move much on the adjustment!..found another bolt,then it was able to take up the slack..GM put the bolts in crappy places,but it was not as bad as other cars I've worked on..still managed to bust 3 knuckles though..:mad:

The alternator belt was pretty toasted,so I went thru my entire collection of 50+ belts looking for one that fit..closest one was an inch shorter than the specs called for--but by taking out the "slider" bolt on the alternator completely,I was able to get the belt over the pulleys,and when I tensioned it the bolt hole was plainly visible..but it took another 15 minutes of fumbling in 20 degree temps with frostbitten hands to get the dam bolt started!--and it went back in pretty hard too:doah: --thought sure it would snap off or strip..now it was pitch black out,and I had to drag out my droplight and extension cord..:mad:

Mistake #2..not taking my car out of the garage,and working IN the garage,where I have a wood stove at least--and can SEE!..:doah: DERRR!

Then I realize by moving the alternator,now the plow pump bracket that bolts to the alternator is too short!..had to scramble and invent something else to use--I put an eye bolt in it for the time being,now I have to weld up another adjustment bolt for THAT now!..:doah: ..now its starting to snow..:eek1:

Took me 45 minutes to get the plow on the truck..first I had to heat the padlock I had on it with a propane torch,so it would open..frozen solid!..then a battle lining up the pins,and the couplers for the hoses were seized up from rust and ice!..GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!..also F***** up my arm trying to wrestle the plow around,aggravating an injury I did to it months ago..now I feel like its broken..:mad:

Then,I wake up today and guess what ?? ... NO SNOW!..and I put 10 bucks of diesel in it too,and had plenty of other things to spend it on!...

Well,at least I got a lot of firewood split last night!..nothing like pretending those logs are whatever your pissed off at while your bashing them with a maul!...:crazy: ..I think I'll go back to my "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality..:crazy:

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Well, Dams are intricate, expansive, and expensive engineering projects, you just have to realize that

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hehe :D

And Robert, its difficult, because no good deed goes unpunished.. :)

4. enginenine

enginenine Registered Member

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

what did your gut say about all this before you started?even if i WAN'T to do something. my gut makes my descision now.HA HA

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Bob, don't sweat it.. Could have been worse certainly.... Be glad you didn't have the day I had... :(

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I hope fumes see's this post!

:haha: :haha: :haha:

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

x2:D all will get straightened out.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm doubting even the levity of our humurous Fumes will put a smile on my face this evening....

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I feel bad for the guy sometimes.. 7 vehickels and one works. :doah:

I should stop talking about it,he might make me help fix them.. ;)

If we had the right tools.