Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is HYDRO RAM ASSIST steering so good?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bullet, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I plan to convert the Jimmy to Cross-over steering in a couple of weeks, but my main problem is that, while I'm at it why not install the WTO Hydro Assist. I've heard great things about them and thier kit, but do I really need it? I mainly run mud and Texas back road trials, and will be running a Track Lok posi in the Dana 60(for the mean time) What are some pros to help me make my mind up. Also, is Ram Assist a cure for Death Wobble? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Why is HYDRO ASSIST so good?

Gooid brake pedal respone!!!! That is all Im going to say about that! It is worth it to put hydro boost on Good luck /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry /forums/images/icons/blush.gif I meant Hydraulic Ram Assisted Steering /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

That i could not awnser fo you. Sorry /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm sorry I meant Hydraulic Ram Assisted Steering

[/ QUOTE ]

Change the title.

6. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I thought it was pretty self-explanitory... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yes, it generally cures death wobble from all I've heard. It make steering with big tires and lockers (or LS) easy. Running mud an dirt trails, you probably will be fine without it. Running rocks, where you frequently need to go lock to lock setting still on rock ledges without being able to roll, IMO, you NEED it. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I totaly agree with that. (B.D's statement)

Ram-assist is a god-send, in the ruff.

But which one?

9. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I want to run it with my 39.5's. How much does this setup run?

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It depends on where you buy it. The best and least expensive place is West Texas Offroad. They also sponsor CK5 so members get a discount. Look here for discount info...

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Depends on how bad the Death wobble is. I never had death wobble ever before. But after my last trip to Paragon, I had some bad bushing problems. Gave some really bad DW. But even after I fixed that, I now still have some slight DW. Not sure why, but my RAM didn't absorb it, I still feel it a little. But I guess it helps dampen it some. Could be worst I guess. I'm running some really soft springs up front, so that may be a factor in my DW too though, plus my drag link isn't exactly parallel to the steering arm anymore....
    Anyhow, when my Assist is working it's the bomb, but when it's not.../forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    I have the AGR and my RAM leaks a tad. So I'm going to eventually swap out the RAM for a West Texas one and hopefully all should be back to the way it was /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Boss

12. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Boss you gonna make Dixie?

On your death wobble. When I drove mine at 5 am the other morning (after a 13 hour wrenching session to make it driveable) I had bad death wobble, it was my tie rod that was wore out. Check your tie rod ends.

Depdog

13. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Right now with the 37in SSR's the stock steering box pukes all over the place and when I'm sitting still and trying to turn whether it be on pavement or on the trial, the PS cuts in and out every now and then. I just have a hint on DW from when i'm slowing down and when i'm going about 20mph the whole front end begins to shimmy, but then stops right before I stop or accelerate /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I am leaning toward the Ram because I will upgrade to 39.5 or 42's in the near future /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

14. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Dep,

It's not looking good bro. Too much on my plate right now. I'm pissed too, b/c I really wanted to go down there with yall again /forums/images/icons/frown.gif.
    I will make it down there again though.

I'll check my rod ends, they're only a little over a year old. I have a slight angle on the draglink now though, since the new springs gave a tad more lift up front then I wanted, but oh well...I think that slight angle has something to do with it...???

Bullet,

sounds like you either have a bad pump, or air in your PS system or BOTH. It shouldn't be doing that. Bleed your system and see what happens.
    Boss

15. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

If you anticipate DW problems, and want the ram to help out, I would suggest using a ram w/rod ends (heims) over the cheaper clevis kind. My 39.5s (unbalanced, and on beadlocks) have always had DW (not when I run 35s, though). Before ram assist, I ran 3 steering stabilizers. Top road speed was around 60, depending on the day. I put on a clevis style ram in March, and took off the steering stabilizers. The problem with the clevis ram is that there has to be some slop in the mounting to avoid binding. It works great off road, and is fine on the street (at least for a non-dd), but I still can get a bit of wobble right around 30 mph. To cure it, i can speed up, slow down, or swerve a bit, then go straight again. One of these days, I would like to replace it with a rod end style ram, though.

Pete