Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why is it always the little things?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Dec 15, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't mean to complain, but I always tell you guys stuff, so I mind as well tell more.
    It always seems the little things piss me off.
    For example, I am making a metal ordanmental cat for my grandma (she loves cats) because I want to show her how much I love her, and also because she is getting old, and probably only has a few years left. Well I am making it for my project in metal work. So I use all the stuff there. Well I started last week, and I knew I wuldn't finish in time before x-mas break starts (tomorrow is my last day) I have the top and the bottom welded, the 2 ears, I welded the eyes together. And I still have to weld on the tail, 2 back feet, and 2 front feet (4 tack welds per foot, plus a couple welds to weld it to the body) and the nose and mouth i have to weld to the eyes. I know I won't get done by tomrrow (I have to get the teacher to mark it, so I can get marks) so I took the pieces home to work on, thinking that if I weld it up tonight, I will just file/grind and finish it for paint tomorrow, hand it in bare, then paint it at home. Well, now it looks like I will be lucky if I even finish it enuogh to hand it in without sanding/grinding/filing the welds to make it smooth. Because my welder at home isn't cooperating. I felt like throwing it through the window. I thought I had a handle on welding, well I don't know much. I can't set it up to weld. the peice are tiny, so that doesn't help either. Also, I got used to welding with an auto-darken helmut. So the flip down ones are just frustrating for me now. So whenever I go to weld, I have to guess I am in the rigght spot and pull the trigger. Most of the time the wire pushed the metal away, and tacked one end of the wire to the big pice, and the other little piece of metal would be hanging from the wire. I just got so frustrated. I was out there for an hour trying to tune the welder so it would work. It wouldn't cooperate. Also, I couldn't get the [darn] wood stove running, so I was in a sweatshirt being cold.
    I feel like rolling up in a ball, and going away from everything. I know my stress is nothing like your guys's stress. But I CAN"T handle little things like this.
    I know that if I just get it welded together at school, and hand it in, my mark may not be all that good, and then I know I WILL be frustrated and get mad because if I could have gotten my welder to work, I coulld have finisish it. I don't like saying this, but sometimes I think I am a perfectionest (sp?) because I want the cat to look really good. And if I can't do that I will get really mad. I ended up hitting the metal with my hand and throwing my gloves on the floor and came inside. I just want life to be a little easier on me. I'd rather finish the cat completly, and have the teacher say he doesn't like it and give me an F, compared to not finishing it, having the cat look like Sh!T and the teaching giving me an okay mark on it. I know you guys might say, well just keep trying at the welder. I could, but I still have a heck of alot of homework left to do in other classes. Another problem is that my class is big, so there is always someone on the welder I use. Today I hardly got anything done (welding the cat) because this one guy took so long, and this other guy butted in front of me and took my turn.

But I guess I will just swallow this, finish my homework tonight, and hope I can finish at least welding the cat, and get him to mark it.
    Sorry for complaining, I just need to vent..........

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh yeah, and I know that the whole night, I will not stop thinking about the cat that I couldn't weld, and I will just get emotional and sad and frustrated all over again.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Hey man, you show good character wanting to do a good job, wanting to get proper praise, and wanting to gift your grandmonkeymom

Hand it in best you can, but ask if you could make it right just for the hell of it, get your grandma a card and take pics of what you have and say "Sorry it'll be late, but I wanted it to be made perfect and with love, just like you love me"

Awwwwwwwwww I'mma go puke now

4. Resurrection_Joe

Stave, I think you're a lot like me emotionally, so, I can reccommend sleeping it off wholeheartedly

I never care the next day

Take pride in what you have done, not what you haven't or can't

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I can never sleep anything off. I always remember the next day.
    I could always mail it to her later in janurary if I chose to do it that way, but I want to see her, and give it to her in person. I don't know...

6. Resurrection_Joe

Do the picture thing, and hug her!

Hey, remember Cid Schlagg's Motto - "It'll be alright"

And remember my motto - "Hey, ****, let's have some fun here eh? I'm still sucking air, how abouts you?"

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I know exactly how you feel. For the last 2 weeks I have been installing crown molding in a VERY unsquare, unplumb condo. I have been doing this type of work for a long time, and I still get so upset that I start throwing things. To me the bottom line is very simple: If you do your best, even though the outcome does not satisfy you, there is really nothing to be ashamed of. There will always be challenges in your life. The true test of a man is not how he handles success, but how he handles failure. All that being said, sometimes it just plain SUCKS when we cannot overcome our challenges. I am sure your grandmother would rather just have a card from you than for you to be all stressed out. Try to relax a little and enjoy the good things in your life, like your family and friends.

8. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

well said! too bad I can't follow the instructions:confused:

9. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Sometimes *stuff* just doesnt work, you and your welder arent getting along for some reason so scrap it for the night and do the homework you can. Who knows, tomorrow may be better?? I'll bet tomorrow you'll be making nice welds and you'll get alot accomplished. Just do the homework you can do tonight, get a good nights rest and start fresh in the morning. :thumb:

Tomorrow is a new day :D

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I could start fresh, but I will have to weld at the schoool. I can't weld at home anymore because I have to get the teacher to mark it.
    thanks for the replies, guys.