Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is it backfiring? lil help here

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hathaway, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

The K5 has been backfiring a little bit if I rev it up high lately. And the exhaust note is...well hard to explain but...kinda hollow sounding. So why does an engine backfire? The timing off a little bit? I'm working on doing alot of minor tweaks right now to get the beast running reliably but i'm kinda clueless about some stuff. Thanks in advance.

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Is it backfiring thru the exhaust or carb? If it's in the exhaust, it can be because you have an exhaust leak or the type of mufflers you're running, running rich... If it's thru the carb, timing, running rich, etc....

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

3. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Muddin, jeez just feel like answering all my ?'s today [​IMG] It does it through the exhaust but it also did it through the carb when I had the air cleaner off and was adjust my idle adjustments. So sounds like I need to check my timing AND my exhaust system for leaks. oo fun. Thanks a bunch muddin [​IMG]

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm on line mang!!! LOL!!! When you plan on rebuilding the carb?

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

5. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

I'm not really sure. My work schedule has been a pain lately. Hopefully I'll do it next week some time. I'd do it tomorrow but I gotta go to the Monster Truck/Tough Truck Rally at the fair grounds [​IMG] And now I gotta go buy some of that Berriemans stuff you were talking about and a metal bucket so I can do this right. I put some new vacuum hoses on today and even that little bit helped it run better. So I figure a rebuild, oil change, spark plugs change, timing would do it alot of good. thanks again for the quick advice [​IMG]