Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is it backfiring?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BAMA74K5, Mar 28, 2001.

1. BAMA74K5

BAMA74K5 Registered Member

My engine ran fine about a week ago, and now it will not even start. All it does now is backfire. Where do I need to start to find the problem. Thanks to all in advance.

2. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

How bad or when was the last itme you changed your plugs and wires. Are you carburated or fuel injection. Check your timing. maybe you are not getting enough gas to the engine. How is your fuel pump and filter. Hope this helped. Later LittleJimmy.

3. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

You should try to be more specific about your rig when you post. What year, and like i said are you carburated or fuel injection.

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I would check the timing. Also, check your fuel filter. Better yet, if you haven't replaced it in a while go ahead and change it. They're so cheap and it will just rule out the filter as a prob.

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

5. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I would say your timing chain snapped or jumped. I believe you can check to see if it has snapped by pulling the distributor cap off and cranking over the engine. If the dist. doesnt move, it snapped. If it jumped, put your #1 cyl at top dead center and see where your dist is pointing. LOL, it should be at #1. Also when you do this make sure you arent 180 degrees out.Before you do any of this , check your timing.Hope i didnt confuse ya.....

One From None

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

99% chance that it jumped time as lowlevell suggests. You will need to replace the timing chain and gears.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Blazer1970 on 03/28/01 10:22 AM (server time).</FONT></P>