Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why Is It Making This Noise?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Aug 8, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok a while back i made a post that my front leafe spring steering side was poping when i turned at low speeds, and alot of people recommended that my frame was cracked, so i pulled the box off hit it with a grinder, and found no cracks, hair line cracks or anything, i put a scope on it, and it seemed that my spring it self was poping and cracking when i turned, i kept it lubed and kept the sound to a bare min. well it kept getting worse, so i kept putting more silicone on it, then it finally stoped working
    when i turn my wheel the whole left side of the truck lifts up slightly, poping and cracking, speeds dont mater now, if im under 45 and turn it pops, i cant figure it out, can someone please shed somelight on this, its driving me nutts, im affriad to drive it or anything, never knowing if it will fall apart, PLEASE help /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

I honestly dont know but have you checked your u bolts ?center pin maybe ?good luck

3. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

I had a broken center pin once and you just explained precicely my rigs symptoms /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif To find out for sure have a friend look at your leafs while you turn the wheel. If its a broken center pin your friend will see the axle sliding back and forth underneath the spring pack. Hope this helps ya out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Same problem here /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    The fix!? installing 4" BDS springs front and rear in about two weeks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My 86 was making that noise.. I couldn't figure it out. It sounded like it was coming from the drivers side.. Finally I jacked it up and put it on jackstands. Had my wife go inside and turn the wheels back and forth.. It was loose u-bolts on the passenger side.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Make sure and let us know if you figure it out. I have something similar in the rear. It cracks and pops when the spring compresses. At first I noticed it turning into my driveway, but I can just jack up under a tire and hear it pop a couple times as the tire moves up into the well.

I'm not sure if it's center pin, or just rusty springs running across each other or what.

Good luck.

7. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

nothing was loose, didnt find that a center pin was broke.
    could it be that my stock steering and many others that have not went to cross over are just inferior set ups, and my tires are too big, causing it to bind up tryign to turn them? if so <font color="blue"> SOME ONE GIVE ME A SET OF KNUCLES SO I CAN DO MY CROSS OVER, </font> <font color="orange"> LOL </font>
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

It's probably your leaf spring shifting under load (mine pops) or even the rivets on the crossmember. You may also find the engine crossmember cracked on the passenger side where it mates to the engine mount (another common place). An easy check is to put the truck in park, start the engine and turn the ragjoint by hand watching the leaf springs and cross member. You'll probably locate the noise pretty quick.