Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHY IS MY 2.8 SO D*&N Slow?!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by blazen_md, May 17, 2002.

1. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

My friend has a 88 s-10 blazer with a 2.8 v6 it has dynomax exhaust k&n filter 3in body lift and 30's what are u guys doing to get more balls out of these motors cause it sucks!!!

2. 350S10NJ

350S10NJ Registered Member

Replacing them with 350's

Not too much else you can do with out spending big money for a little gain. Might try a lower gear like 3.73 or 4.10
    2.8's only had 110 hp new .
    If he is giong to keep the 2.8 and want it to last he MUST change the oil often

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The title answered the question. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif 2.8's were DOGS! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I test drove a brand new S-Blazer when they came out with them in '84 or so. Thought that I wanted to buy one, until I drove one. What a slug... I finally bought a new one in '91 with the 4.3 under the hood. Still not a speed demon, but worlds better than the 2.8's ever dreamed of being.

GM offers a 3.4 liter engine that's a direct replacement for the 2.8, but it still won't be a speed demon, plus they get around 2 grand for it! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif You could drop in a V8, but then you have to start thinking about breaking axles, etc. One thing leads to another and before you know it, you've spent a fortune on the truck...

4. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

could you replace the carb/intake with a multiport fuel injection off of a car with a 2.8?? I have a buick century with a 2.8 multi port fuel injection and it is pretty quick and will even smoke the tires. it's also for sale $200 takes it. problems are short in tail lights that will shut the motor off ( i immagine an easy fix) and a leaky brake line, not much rust at all and all together in "decent" shape.

5. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Use that 2.8 for a boat anchor and get a 300hp 350 and the goodies to go with it.

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately, I cant say much more than the other people have... 2.8s are not known for much. Probably just live with it until it gives up. Then get a real mild V8 put in and the drivetrain will last.

Ken H.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A carbed smogger 305 is great for an S-10...plenty of power for it's size and the drivetrain might live.

Rene

8. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

hehe i agree with rene
    i've got a 305 in my moms garage(western md), main bearing seized up, more than welcome to take the block, heads, crank, etc etc...i highly doubt i'll ever use it, course for the price of rebuilding it you could just buy a low level 350, thats probably what i'd do...

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Holley replacement TBI! Buy at www.jegs.com for $301.99. PN 510-502-3 Takes 1 second off 0-60 time and adds about 15 hp and 15 ft.lb. Direct bolt and plug in to play.

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah, those Holleys are great replacements, only problem is they will drop your MPG into the single digits.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but that happens 'cause your right foot just LOVES all the extra power!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

the 2.8 were dogs. no way around it. I have heard of people swapping guts to get the 3.1. blocks are same family. but never researched it. In 88 my wife "had to have" a blazer. I test drove 2.8. Hated it, made her wait till 89's came out 4.3!! I have used those holley replacement t.b.i.'s they do work well.