Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is my basement flooded?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Feb 20, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

No major leakage anywhere, just lotsa water on the floor. All the snow outside is melting, so the ground is saturated. I just can't seem to identify where this is coming in. It seems like it's soaking through the cinder block walls, but I can't find where. There are wet spots on the walls in other parts ofthe basement, but not near the floods... It looks like it could be wet, but I can't tell, and it's way below ground level.
    Any thoughts, anyone??

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

when i was little i remember watching hometime with my parents and i remember one where these peoples basement would fill with water because the ground water was high or something. The water would actually leach through the concrete blocks and fill the basement. They painted the walls with a paint that repels the water. The only one i could find online was this stuff Expensive but if i remember right this was the stuff they used on hometime. Might try a pump under the floor if you want.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sounds to me like you need to invest in some masonry sealer Ratch. I think the stuff I used befor was called UGL or something like that, it goes on like real thick paint. A few coats sould seal it up if that is your problem.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

K20, if you knew what we've spent on paint in the last 2 months, you'd think that stuff was cheap... Gettin irritated just thinking about how much we've wasted...

The exterior of our house is stucco, so I just happen to have some masonry sealer I was using last summer. I guess I'll put some of that on the basement walls if they dry by the weekend.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

5. chevblazk5

chevblazk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a same problem in my basement three months ago. No leaks just wet walls. I bought two gallons of DryLock and painted the walls. That solved the problem. However, in my case this is just the beginning. I got a small excavator from one of the local contractors and I excavated few test pits at back side of the house where the walls are wet. (I first called for all utilities mark out and I got all required permits) What I found just made me mad!!!! When the previous owner had the addition added on, his contractor never sealed/waterproofed the foundation from the outside. This is just stupid and inexcusable!!! I’ll have to excavate the whole back side of the house and seal the foundation this spring.
    Well anyway, I hope your problem is not as serious as mine.

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

A house I used to own didnt leak real bad, but thefloor drain would back up after a real bad rain. I dont know if you have a drain, but if so, its a possibility.

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

The house my parents owned when I was a kid had a natural spring under the house. They had to install 3 sump-pumps. Every time it rained or the snow melted, the basement would fill up. I remember how we found out. My grandfather and I were down there in the water and he had the idea to punch a hole in the floor to let the water drain out. He hit it with a punch and the water shot out and hit the ceiling! My dad yelled "we're going under!" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The house my parents owned when I was a kid had a natural spring under the house. They had to install 3 sump-pumps. Every time it rained or the snow melted, the basement would fill up. I remember how we found out. My grandfather and I were down there in the water and he had the idea to punch a hole in the floor to let the water drain out. He hit it with a punch and the water shot out and hit the ceiling! My dad yelled "we're going under!" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

After 15 years doing residential renovations, 1 thing stands true...if you dont get the water away from the house, it will come back to haunt you. Using dry-lock or equiv is like putting a band-aid on a cut off arm. the water is still getting in the block, and it will not take long for it to destroy the integrity of the block, thus at first it will start sinking. That is a big cause of so many houses having cracks in the sheetrock. If you leave it be at that point, the house goes. Sorry, but you might need to get a french drain and pump set-up.