Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is my brake light on?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BozoWise, May 19, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I have a 1979 K5 Blazer? What makes the brake light on the dash come on? It has been on since my axel swap. I do not see any wires conected to the master cylinder. There is not low fluid? The brakes are spoongy though.

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

check the wire at the parking brake try unhooking it there to see if light gos off make sure the parking brake pedal is all the way up or this will cause it to stay on also check the wire going to the porprostion valve its on the frame under the radiator you may also need to bleed your brakes again

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Got the parking brake removed still on? Will try bleeding again.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The spongy pedal is the clue. There is air in the brakes somewhere. Bleed 'em good. If you had the brakeline unhooked long enough for the resevoir to run dry on the master cylinder, then you'll need to start by bleeding the master cylinder first. Then move on to bleeding the rest of the brake circuit.

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Harry is right. That light is a pressure sensing thing. WHen it senses some kinda pressure drop somewhere in the system it'll come on. I've had ne come on while on the brakes slowly coming down some steep trails.

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Reverse bleed them all by pumping brake fluid up from the bleeders. Light is off and brakes are firm. Now I need to get a steering stabilizer because this thing is walking all over the road now with the 38.5" I'll have more pics up soon. Thanks for the help guys ;-)