Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why is my carb overflowing with gas and spilling everywhere?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Oct 9, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to start my truck and it fires up, but the stupid carb keeps spilling out gas from the top. I have an electric fuel pump setup. My carb is q-jet 4 barrel i bought from a ck5'r here. I have not hooked up the electric choke...would that have anything to do with it??? I dare not try to start her while this "spillage" problem exist.
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

could the float level be to high?

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

stuck or bad float..

sometimes the needle will get cocked in the bore of the seat and get stuck, keeping the float down, thus overfilling the bowl and out the vents..

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

how do I check? I know nothing about carbs. I was told that carb was rebuilt so not it should not be broken, ...but maybe just stuck? I do I get unstuck?

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

anyone else know what I should do? Can I unstick floats? I really need the assistance today, I've finally got her all together to run today (my 69 k5)

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

sometimes you can unstick it , by tapping it with the handle end of a screwdriver, but most of the time when a needle valve sticks it's due to sand or debri inside holding it open. FIX*** pinch off the feed line to the fuel pump the rubber part, run the engine till it runs out and stops running. then you'll need to take the top off the carb and blow the bowl out with air pressure not too much though, put the carb back togethe, then replace your fuel filter, and your done, I've done that several time and it always works /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

as Matt said, try rapping the top with a screwdriver handle..

not a big deal to pull the top and fix if ya need to.. hanging the needle is the trickiest part.. shouldn't even need to adjust the float if its a needle/seat issue...

8. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I used a wood block and gave it a tap tap a rooo!! And after that it worked fine just sounds like the float bowl got stuck...

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Well, after "tapping" the carb...hard enough, I was not able to get the float loose. I took the top partially off as described and shook the float loose. I put top of carb back together and...the motor fired right up. I ran for a few seconds then stopped to check carb and fuel since a fire would not be in order. I then tried to restart and CRAP, float stuck again. What gives? What do I need to do to fix it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Thourough clean and rebuild. Had the carb sat long with gas without starting? It's pretty elementary that sitting gas turns into a sticky varnish that fawks things all up.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you running a pressure regulator on that pump, or is it low pressure already?

Most Q-jets need about 6PSI max, but some were up to as high as 9. In any case, if you are putting out more than that, I'd lean towards the fuel pump blowing the needle off the seat.

12. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

How much fuel pressure are you running at the carb? Most electric pumps create to much pressure and that is why your needle is coming up and causing your fuel bowls to over flow. You may need a regulator to lower the pressure down to about

13. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Am I the only one running electric fuel pump with Qjet? I removed carb, took top off and cleaned everything, flushing with carb cleaner. Seems to have helped. I also reduced flow from pump and that also helped. It still will leak, if I don't start engine right away, but once started there is not over flow. Kinda dangerous though. Probably due to the electric pump as suggestd.

Anyone else using an electric pump? What is your setup?

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

This is one of the reasons not many run an electric pump with the Qjet..stock mech. pump works more than adequately, and the electrics just add a bunch of problematic variables.

My dad ran an electric for awhile, and went back to the mechanical which solved his problem.

15. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

When mine started doing that, it was the accellerator pump plunger that had gotten old and was leaking.

16. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This is one of the reasons not many run an electric pump with the Qjet..stock mech. pump works more than adequately, and the electrics just add a bunch of problematic variables.

My dad ran an electric for awhile, and went back to the mechanical which solved his problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

My block is a newer block for fuel injection, so it has not mechanical pump "hole". So I will need to look into a
    permanent fix with a pressure regulator. When the engine is running, I have not problems.

Thanks for all the help. If anyone can recommend a regulator setup let me know....i know nothing!