Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why is my diff. leaking... from the top??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Jun 11, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i swear it looks like my rear diff is leaking from the top of the cover! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif the suburban is covered in mud right now and there is a line from the top to the bottom of the rear diff. cover that is clean and oily. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif what's going on?

2. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

It may be that your pinion seal is out and it is throwing fluid everywhere and you have only noticed it on the top of the diff cover. Or maybe your truck is upside down and this is your way of saying you need a winch line. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

If the pinion seal were bad would it CLUNK when put into gear, Mine started leaking and then started clunking... I'm going to replace it do you think it might fix the CLUNK or is the rearend starting to go.....?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I got a similar leak...check the brake line junction at the top of the diff. That's where mine is starting to leak.

Yeah, I know...another repair. My list is getting longer the more i work on it! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Rene

5. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me that your pinion nut has backed off. You may be able to get by with replacing the pinion seal and torque the pinion nut to spec's. I would open it up and have yourself a look see at it.

6. muddysub

i'm doing new ring and pinions (4.56) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif in july and my suburban won't be driven for the rest of the month atfer this week, i'll be in alaska.

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Diff vents leaking, I'm pretty sure it's located on the upper right side (when viewed from the rear).

Check the fluid, is it full of water (milky-brown), or just-plain over-filled? Is the vent hose plugged?

8. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

i ran into the same thing mine was the brake line junction might be a good place to start!?!?

9. muddysub

okay i'll check the fluid soon. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif thanks /forums/images/icons/cool.gif